Clear All

• QUESTIONNAIRE FOR CHILDREN

QUESTIONNAIRE FOR CHILDREN

Child's First Name:
    Weight:
    Birth weight:
    Hair color:
    Race/nationality:

1. What is the chief complaint? Include information about the side of the body that's affected; the color, odor and consistency of any discharges that may be present; whether the complaint came on gradually or suddenly; and all changes from the normal state, including mental/emotional changes, body temperature changes (colder or hotter than usual), appetite and food and drink desires that may have changed; and try to be specific in describing the sensations involved in the complaint, for instance, "pain as if a splinter in the throat", etc.

2. When did this problem start? What happened in the child's life around that time? What do you think caused it?

3. What aggravates the chief complaint (certain foods, weather, movement, light, noise, touch, pressure, music, heat, cold, open windows, closed windows, being at the sea shore, sympathy or anything else you can think of)?

4. What makes the chief complaint better? (See examples above.)

5. What time of day is the worst for your child (try to specify a time)?

6. What symptoms accompany the chief complaint? Examples might be headache with runny nose or runny eyes, stomach pains with irritability, and so on.

7. What was the mother's and father's state of health at time of conception? How did the mother feel during pregnancy physically and mentally? Did she suffer any shocks or traumas while pregnant?

8. Did the mother have any unusual or memorable dreams while pregnant?

9. Did the mother take any drugs while pregnant?

10. Were there any complications at birth?

11. At what age did the child: crawl, walk, talk, teethe, toilet train, wean?

12. How did the child react to the following situations: vaccinations, birth of younger sibling, starting day care, starting school, spending night with a friend, going away to camp, traveling with the family?

13. How many rounds of antibiotics has the child had and for what conditions?

14. Any skin conditions treated with cortisone-type cream?

15. Did the child have an especially severe childhood illness--measles, mumps, croup, etc.?

16. When ill or upset does the child want to cling or be left alone, or something else altogether?

17. How would you describe the child's behavior when playing with other children?

18. What feedback do you get from the child's teachers?

19. How does your child treat animals?

20. What foods and drinks does your child crave? What foods is he or she averse to? Are there any foods he or she reacts badly to and in what way? Do the drinks have to be cold (or with ice) or can they be any temperature?

21. What fears does your child have?

22. Is the child chilly or warm? Is there excessive perspiration anywhere?

23. How affectionate is the child when not sick?

24. How sympathetic is the child (concerned with the suffering of others)?

25. How is the child affected by music and dancing?

26. What emotion tends to predominate with the child?

27. Is the child fastidious? Please explain.

28. Is the child sensitive to criticism and reprimand? Give examples.

29. Describe the child's eating habits, for example: picks at his food, or eats voraciously, or is full after 2 bites, or can't sit still to eat, or must be fed or he won't calm down, and so on.

30. Are there any digestive complaints--waking with stomach pains, or a lot of gas and bloating or burping, or constipation, etc.?

31. Are there any problems associated with sleep? What position does he sleep in? Does he throw the covers off? Does he sweat during sleep? On which part of the body? Trouble falling asleep? Nightmares, etc.?

32. Any skin symptoms or anything note-worthy about the skin, the complexion, etc.?

33. Is there anything striking, or characterizing about your child, for example: attatchments, unusual desires and abilities, preferences in clothing, etc.?

34. How cooperative is the child?

35. What's standing in his way of getting what he wants or needs?

36. How often does the child get sick? Does he tend toward certain illnesses?

37. What illnesses run in the family, including the grandparents?

38. What does the child really love to do?

39. It's important for us to know what may have been the cause for the complaints you have mentioned. To this end, please make a list, in order of occurence, of the major events in the child's life, including such things as physical and emotional traumas, major illnesses, losses, deaths in the family, surgeries, etc. and the child's age at the time. If he or she had a notable reaction to these events, please describe.

THANK YOU!!!!!

[ 18. May 2003, 00:34: Message edited by: Snoopy ]
    Last edited by jonh; 14th November 2004, 03:18 PM.
    www.ElaineLewis.hpathy.com

During a lecture at college we were told to ask about dreams Mum had during pregnancy and also about the circumstances going on around conception in case of any trauma then with Mum or Dad.
    RSHom - Registered Homeopath

Comment

Does anyone think this questionnaire is missing
      one or more significant questions?

Snoopy
      www.ElaineLewis.hpathy.com

Comment

hi

if i may i have few more thing that can be asked:
        1.for whom the child look like-appearance or behavior [its good thing to ask because u can learn more ]
        2.if the child speak u can ask what punsihment u hate the most [u can know from it if he like to be outdoor or like to be with people or just watch movie]
        3.what kind of t.v progrems do u lie [war,funny,etc]
        4.tell me about your brothers and what u hate about them or like [ u can see jealousy,etc]
        5.which proffesion do u like in school and why

i have few more so if u want i will send
        all the best

Comment

It might not be too difficult to treat children for an acute disease but for a problem with a mental aspect and associated chronic elements it can be different. Looking at your questions you are not asking your patient, the child, but the parents.

Rule number one ask the patient and if the baby that cannot communicate look at the symptoms it is normal an acute problem at this age. What is the point to ask what fear do your child have you will get the reply the fear of the parents and not the child. Same question for a baby ??? what answer do you expect.

Children are under great influence of the parents and asking them you will not get the symptoms of the child. Ask the child and without the parents and ask the parents without the child. Sometimes you do not have to treat the child but the family ; the mother or father the child is ok. Do not put it in all a in a standard QUESTIONNAIRE FOR CHILDREN see what you have in front out you and treat what you see not what the parents say.

Dr Mose

Comment

Dr. Mose, I very much like your critique of this questionaire. I likewise immediately found it wanting and quickly dismissed it before reading even 10 questions.

Being expert at English and noticing you're German, I take the liberty to correct it for a better read as an editor would do to preserve it for posterity in the best form for easy comprehension. These are all very good points, sir.

I furthermore thank you for contributing to this site I've poured so much into for years with very little but occasional help, by which I mean to encourage you to post here with alacrity. I'll attempt to do this editing of them if you do.

Originally posted by Mose View Post

It might not be too difficult to treat children for an acute disease, but for a problem with a mental aspect and associated chronic elements, it can be different [difficult]. Looking at your questions, you are not asking [them of] your patient, the child, but the parents.

Rule number one: Ask the patient, and if the [if it is a] baby who cannot communicate, look at the symptoms [observation]. It is normally an acute problem at this age.

For instance, what is the point of asking the parents what fears their child has? You will get in reply the fears of the parents, not the child. Do you ask the same questions of a baby? What answers do you expect? ["Goo-goo, mama, dada?"]

Children of the age of speech are under great influence from the parents, and asking them these questions in the presence of the parents will not get you the child's symptoms. Instead, ask the child without the parents around, and ask the parents without the child's presence. Sometimes, you do not have to treat the child but the family: The mother or father. The child is okay.

You most especially do not want to pose your inquires from a standard questionaire for children. Instead, observe what you have in front out you, and treat what you see, not what the parents say.

Dr Mose
            Very good, sir! I offer just one group of comments before I actually examine it myself and possibly respond.

As Hahnemann correctly stated in the ORGANON, there are three sources of information, and they exist in the following hierarchy of importance somewhat akin to being in orders of magnitude, meaning that each is essentially 10 times more important than the following source: the patient, observations by the physician and those of attendants -- in this case, the parents.
            Albert, also Hahnemannian444B
            www.GiggleBoggleJabbleGooby.com/HaHa and www.Google+.com/AlbertHahnemannian.com and www.Tumblr.com.AlbertHahnemannian.com and
            http://www.cityevents.tv/Cetah444

Comment

I again didn't read them all, not because I found disapproval of anything in particular but instead because I disapprove of questionaires in general. They're wrong for many reasons, too.

You let them speak. If you carve that in stone, you get an idea how important it is. It's of tremendous importance to not direct this process. Asking questions like "What's the problem?" and then repeatedly asking those like "What else?" will suffice with most patients. They want to tell you their complaints or they wouldn't have come to you. Most patients will tell you what you need to know if you follow Hahnemann's advice and directives about case taking and do this:

1. Let them speak;

2. Interrupt only to insure you accurately record what they initially say;

3. Repeatedly ask questions like "What else?" to get a full rendition of their complaints;

4. Once they're through -- remembering that they often remember things at any point in this process -- ask initial questions to make points clear, going down your list of their statements until you're satisfied you understand what's bothering them about each one, these questions being rudimentary compared to in-depth inquiries that follow;

5. Ask questions about each complaint to cover the fact that well-recorded symptoms often have four parameters: location, sensation, modalities and concomitants -- it being a sure source of grief to fail to gather anything important about each symptom;

6. Ask questions about parts of the body and issues of life (that's a big subject in the extreme) not mentioned, this normally being an extremely long element of the process and frequently necessitating multiple sessions unless the case is clearly indicating a particular drug; and assuming I haven't left anything out, which is unlikely

7. Never ask yes or no questions since it's a sure way to get wholly misleading information.

I am not at all opposed to prescribers having these kinds of handy questions readily available to them as aids in taking cases. That is, however, quite different from questionaires. Avoid those like the plague.

There are a great many of these questions a prescriber can ask, and we tend to collect them until they're unwieldy and number in the hundreds. The most helpful list of them I've ever seen directly supplement Hahnemann's listing in the ORGANON. Those additional particular questions I refer to came from Jost Kunzli (generally agreed to have been a master homeopath) and his long-time student and colleague Robert M. Schore, both MDs. They're in one of the issues of HOMEOTHERAPY: JOURNAL OF CLASSICAL HOMEOPATHY (published by The Hahnemann Foundation) in which Dr. Schore served as editor about 30 years ago. The National College of Naturopathic Medicine has a full collection. That's a good lead the wise will follow.
              Albert, also Hahnemannian444B
              www.GiggleBoggleJabbleGooby.com/HaHa and www.Google+.com/AlbertHahnemannian.com and www.Tumblr.com.AlbertHahnemannian.com and
              http://www.cityevents.tv/Cetah444

Comment

Originally posted by ofir View Post
                if i may i have few more thing that can be asked:
                1.for whom the child look like-appearance or behavior [its good thing to ask because u can learn more ]
                2.if the child speak u can ask what punsihment u hate the most [u can know from it if he like to be outdoor or like to be with people or just watch movie]
                3.what kind of t.v progrems do u lie [war,funny,etc]
                4.tell me about your brothers and what u hate about them or like [ u can see jealousy,etc]
                5.which proffesion do u like in school and why

i have few more so if u want i will send
                all the best
                I think these are nice posting in this site...It is more innovative information in this site....thanks for sharing that...

regards....

kajal
                Silk Fabrics |Vastu |Acupressure |Dupioni silk

Comment

Rule number one ask the patient and if the baby that cannot communicate look at the symptoms it is normal an acute problem at this age. What is the point to ask what fear do your child have you will get the reply the fear of the parents and not the child. Same question for a baby ??? what answer do you expect.

Comment

I am agree with you kristienece2, it is necessary to solve problem of your child. He should always come out from fear and be fearless. For that parents do some special things for their child.
                    Best Schools in Mumbai

Comment

Originally posted by Ricky View Post
                      During a lecture at college we were told to ask about dreams Mum had during pregnancy and also about the circumstances going on around conception in case of any trauma then with Mum or Dad.
                      doesn't they dreams or circumstances effect on pregnancy...have any idea ?
                      Discount Off Broadway Tickets| Ballet Tickets Nyc Cirque Du Soleil Tickets| Disney On ICE Discount Tickets

Comment

During a session at higher education we were informed to ask about goals Mum had during maternity and also about the conditions going on around perception in situation of any stress then with Mum or Dad.
                        Best Schools in Mumbai

Comment

Thatís a great move; these things really help and make things easier than before. If we could get rid of being stressed we could find solutions for many problems.
                          Book Flights | Cheap Flights to Accra

Comment

It's spelled Betelgeuse (and most astronomers insist beetle juice is an uncategorically wrong pronunciation in any case) and it is somewhere around 600 light years away, certainly not millions of light years away which would place it outside our galaxy. But no, we can't see it closer to as it exists "now" simply because the only way we can tell anything about it is via its light and other electromagnetic radiation, and those all travel at the same speed. It's possible, though unlikely, that it has already gone supernova already, but we won't know a thing about it until that light arrives. There's no device we can build to allow us to see that "early" since it would break much of modern physics based on relativity which forbids it. https://www.spectroradiometer.ch/

Comment

Working...
                            X