2 y/o with constipation and retention issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 y/o with constipation and retention issues

My daughter recently turned 2 and has been struggling with constipation and subsequent retention issues since 7 months of age.

Here’s a little history:

I breastfed her until she was 18 months and began adding solids into her diet around 7 months. Her bowel movements (BM) were normal until adding solids. I have several food intolerances, so we’ve been very careful adding foods. We avoid gluten (I have celiac disease) and dairy, among other things. My husband and I feel like we’re at our wits end, as we’ve researched so much to little/no avail. Avoiding constipating foods helps, but giving her prunes (and other foods that help get things moving) doesn’t seem to affect her significantly. We’ve avoiding Mirolax, but have had her on magnesium citrate to keep her bowels moving. She has been on this for months, but every time we start to wean her off, she begins the holding pattern again. She is scared to go. It seems like the only way she’ll go is if we give her enough magnesium that she can’t hold it, or if we give her a suppository (which she is understandably terrified of).

When she was younger, she did have some definite episodes of painful constipation with hard stools, but now the hard stools are rare. She can have soft, normal stools but still be quite upset about the whole thing. Her stools are not especially foul smelling, not mucousy. They’re relatively normal (when not liquefied because of magnesium).

We’ve brought her to 2 naturopaths and have sought counsel from her pediatrician as well. The first naturopath recommended nux vomica, probiotics, and some dietary changes (adding more prune juice, for example), neither of which did the trick. She also suggested that we consider cranioscaral therapy in the future, if things failed to improve. The second naturopath recommended mostly dietary changes (adding coconut milk), probiotics, and adding magnesium citrate to the regimen.

It’s important to share that in the beginning, we were too controlling about her bowel movements. I read about horror stories of constipation and how bad it is for your health, that I became rather fearful and was vigilant about making her go. In my ignorance and fear, I didn’t consider the repercussions of this. I regret it tremendously, but I can’t change it now….

I personally think that this is a control and fear issue for her. She is a sweet, fun loving, intelligent, verbal, excitable (but not hyperactive), people-pleasing little girl. She is orderly (perhaps too much) and seems to have a perfectionist nature like I do. As of recently, she is a nail bitter—not sure if this is connected to the fact that she’s teething her molars. She is a bit intense at times. She does have some food intolerances, including dairy, many nuts, wheat, and likely other grains. Her most common symptom is rashes and behavior changes when exposed to these foods. She wasn't a great sleeper as an infant, but sleeps much better now.

I’ve been very interested in homeopathic remedies and have tried a couple, nux vomica and calc carb. Neither worked. I haven’t given up hope for homeopathy, but I just don’t know where to go from here. From my perspective, she seems to resist the urge to defecate (mostly going unnoticed) until she hasn’t had a BM for a couple of days (if we let her go that long) and then she feels the overwhelming urge and panics and really tries to hold it in.

I’m sorry this is so long. Please, please help ! If I can provide any other information, please let me know.

Jessica

Originally posted by jessica.h View Post
    . . . The first naturopath recommended nux vomica . . .

She is a sweet, fun-loving, intelligent, verbal, excitable (but not hyperactive), people-pleasing little girl. . . .
    That rules out Nux-v. They're people only parents can love, and that shows up in children, too. That person obviously used allopathic logic and prescribed "for" the constipation because it's famous for that among low-potency (allopathic) homeopaths. Therefore, run away from that prescriber.

You're in a happy land of thinking people, though. There are a lot of naturopaths who're members of the Homeopathic Association of Naturopathic Physicians (or some such name), so find one. It should not be too difficult in Oregon. If you're in Portland, take her to the clinic of the National College of Naturopathic Medicine and seek a teacher.

BTW, she sounds delightful, so I'm happy for you.

In general, you have to rule out avoidable causes before throwing medicines into someone. In this case, it's the amount of fluids taken in due to the primary function of the bowels. It pulls water out of digestants, and that can dehydrate a person who doesn't drink enough water. Try giving more. Don't throw medicines into her.
    Albert, also Hahnemannian444B
    www.GiggleBoggleJabbleGooby.com/HaHa and www.Google+.com/AlbertHahnemannian.com and www.Tumblr.com.AlbertHahnemannian.com and
    http://www.cityevents.tv/Cetah444

Comment

KENT0605

Kent repertory : STOOL

Given such details in our database about constipation. it's necessary to know them. I won't prescribe, but your prescriber will have to know. Take a look-see.

The larger text is here: Constipation - Stool and Rectum - Chapter 20 - REPERTORY OF HERING'S GUIDING SYMPTOMS OF OUR MATERIA MEDICA By Calvin B. Knerr, M.D..

I repeat, she sounds delightful, so what's the cause of all your concern here? Likewise, I find it important to mention that only advanced parents attract discarnant Saints and proto-Saints back into incarnation, so think again before wanting to fix her.
      www.GiggleBoggleJabbleGooby.com/HaHa and www.Google+.com/AlbertHahnemannian.com and www.Tumblr.com.AlbertHahnemannian.com and

Comment

Personally i would be looking at what her foods are cooked in and what is used to treat your water supply

I suspect you are using Aluminium or non stick coated pans or foil and that your water supply is treated with Alum or Aluminium salts and that flouride is added

Eliminate those possibilities before thinking furthur

Comment

hello jessica,

It is very common day today clinical problem seing almost every day in clinic.
          In homoeopathy there are many medicines for constipation, but are giving according to individual peculiarities.

According to the patient Alumen,Alumina,Ammo mur,caust,nat mur,sanicula,paraffin,op,S,Calc,Mag mur,Plb met etc etc

Ther is nothing to worry. So you have to consult an experienced hompath for cure.
          regards
          <a href="http://www.pannakkal.com" target="_blank">www.pannakkal.com</a>

Comment

Do not worry,everything will be right.best wishes for you!
            No better chance of contentment, ffxiv gil than in the way that we talk to ourselves.

Comment

My daughter recently turned 2 and has been struggling with constipation and subsequent retention issues since 7 months of age.
              I looked at it again, and it seems I missed something very important. First, however, I need to ask what you mean by "subsequent retention issues?"

She is scared to go. . . . She can have soft, normal stools but still be quite upset about the whole thing.
              Scared to have a bowel movement? How do you know that? I also need to ask what you mean because that seems new to me. Do you instead mean that she's scared to go to the bathroom alone? Surely not or you would have said it quite different.

"Fear of straining at stool in child" isn't listed in Kent (KENT0045), but it seems it probably should be because some statement like that seems vaguely familiar. What do you mean by "she's scared to go?" Scared of what?

Experience teaches us to look for synonyms, but I didn't find anything under apprehension. It did, however, send me to anxiety, and I happily found this:

Originally posted by Kent, p. 8
              Anxiety during stool: Acon., ars., camph., canth., caust., cham., mag-c., merc., plat., raph., sec., sep., stram., sulph., tab., verat.
              Yeah, I now recognize it. It's an odd thing to differentiate between fears and anxieties, but I'm pretty sure it's a missing rubric under fears because it will manifest that way in children. Nonetheless, that should be very helpful.

Here's what you do: Read that symptom or the several entries of it in each of those drugs within Hahnemann's MATERIA MEDICA PURA (Materia Medica Pura – Samuel Hahnemann | Hpathy.com) and THE CHRONIC DISEASES (The Chronic Diseases, their Peculiar Nature and their Homœopathic Cure. - by Dr Samuel Hahnemann), and try to match it as close to verbatim as possible but especially in the details. Download online copies to a WORD document so that you can quickly do word searches. If you find that doesn't help, which is likely because the symptoms of children and infants will often be quite different in expression from those of adult provers ("testers") of those drugs, you read them all and look for all of her symptoms that match, ignoring others. Nobody is going to have hundreds or thousands of symptoms or even scores of them, so the fact that someone doesn't have some symptom produced and cured by some drug is simply irrelevant.

I won't go through each of those drugs and tell you what I know about the anxieties of each remedy because those details aren't things we can easily retain in memory since this is encyclopedic knowledge important to get verbatim for the Law of Similars, but I can give you an example from the first listing. Aconite is common in children because Aconite patients are full of anxieties, and many children have such distresses. Perhaps the most famous person who needed Aconite was George Washington. The online case report of his murder by allopaths is a good example of how anxious they are. They murdered the man, and yet he simply needed Aconite. What's new about that?

Cantheris is also famous in children, but so are the others. Therefore, you'll have to read them, dear. From what I can tell about you, you should be able to handle this yourself.

My apologies for missing that, but I wonder why you didn't bring it to my attention. No matter.

God bless!

Comment

One uncommon symptom is insufficient to prescribe with any precision, so I looked again.

. . . I personally think that this is a control and fear issue for her. . . .
                What does that mean, and why do you say it?

She is orderly (perhaps too much so) and seems to have a perfectionist nature like I do.
                Fastidious (KENT0040, p. 42): Ars., nux-v.

Is that what you mean? Since you tried Nux-v., it's important that Arsenicum-album patients are chilly in weather comfortable for others. These are just guess, though, and we don't do that in homeopathy. Details, details, details, dear.

As of recently, she is a nail bitter—not sure if this is connected to the fact that she’s teething her molars. She is a bit intense at times.
                Nail biting is important, but Kent didn't list it. What does "a bit intense" mean? Kent repertory : MIND

She does have some food intolerances, including dairy, many nuts, wheat, and likely other grains. Her most common symptom is rashes and behavior changes when exposed to these foods.
                What kind of rashes and where, and how do you know they're from the foods? KENT1315, p. 1317.

She wasn't a great sleeper as an infant but sleeps much better now. . . .
                What does that mean? Kent repertory : SLEEP. "Fear, jumps out of bed from : Ars." (KENT0045). "Fear, frightened, easily" (KENT0045, p. 49). Those are just examples of what I think you might mean, but it depends upon what you mean.

Comment

''fear 'associatin with stool----finger/nail biting/chewing

not knowing your knowledge--materia medica readup on bryonia---you willthen find pusatilla as well as silica of interest

Comment

That's helpful, John. I can add Lycopodium, Staphysagria and Stramonium, and I've seen Natrum muriaticum and Ignatia in cured cases from others plus probably half a dozen others. It's striking that it's missing in Kent's REPERTORY and every other one. Vithoulkas has that rubric addition with drugs I don't recall. The fact that it's missing in our repertories caused me to pass over it because it's going to be unreliable as an undeveloped rubric.

Still, I did not know about Bryonia and Pulsatilla, and I only now recall someone mentioning Silica. Thank you, sir.

Add them to your repertories, guys. You have to learn to studiously do this when you come across them, or they'll be lost to the past.

Comment

only pencilin--and confim within one'spersonalpractise--and underline eachtime symptomcomplex is validly confirmed in cure only----thus developing reliabilty

as far MMP work--we need constantly remind ourselves rep was developed as guide only--so as access each piece of symptomcomplex----most times we are todothis by symptom anology-not often as we lke is a complete symptomspelled out exactly as it is documented in MMP---this method hahnemann -boenninghausen (especially) drew out what we call keys toremedies---thisis neve toreplace MMP study---wemus be beyond vigilant to study MMP along side rep--taking notice how symptom complexes are put together---

in this case it is more silica -and bryoniaorpulsatilla in exasperated moments --some callacute flair of chronic---allthe same--again symptoms dictate..,,diet itself willregulate under propr homoeopathic med and dosing

anyway seems mother is nolonger interacting at this post thread

Comment

Originally posted by john stanton View Post
                        Only pencil [them] in and confirm [them] within one's personal practice, and underline each time symptom complex is validly confirmed in cure only -- thus developing reliability.

As far [for] MMP work [that usually stands for Hahnemann's MATERIA MEDICA PURA, but I think he means the materia medica in general and thus study of the remedies], we need constantly remind ourselves rep was [that the repertories were] developed as guide[s], only. So, as [we] access each piece of [a] symptom complex, most times we are to do this by symptom analogy. Not [as] often as we like is a complete symptom spelled out exactly as it is documented in MMP. This method Hahnemann -- Boenninghausen, especially -- drew out what we call keys to remedies. This is never to replace MMP [materia medica] study. We must be beyond vigilant to study MMP [materia medica] along side repertory, taking notice how symptom complexes are put together.

In this case, it is more Silica -- and Bryonia or Pulsatilla in exasperated moments some call acute flair [flare up] of chronic [state]. All the same, again symptoms dictate. Diet itself will regulate under [the] proper homoeopathic medicine and dosing.

Anyway, seems mother is no longer interacting at this post thread.
                        With the exception of what you said about the medicines, which I did not perceive but stand aside if you do, that all seems accurate. It's pretty hard to constantly make accurate statements about homeopathy, so I wanted it more legible for posterity.

Comment

correctly translated H444--thank you

materia medica pura ---allen's encyclopedia---which includes hahnemann's---of course there are translated mistakes--german to english----but with close study---between other works--one will find consistency and is to mark in their books accordingly--and pratise will verify..

thank you agian

Comment

I missed the last posting. I need tell students that Allen was a low-potency pseudo homeopath in the ranks of the so-called "sifters" who extracted proving symptoms from potencies above 12c. He also made bozo mistakes with his translations. Most of our materia medicas came from those mongrels -- Hahnemann's word for them -- so Hahnemannians simply avoid them. Consequently, Allen's 12-volume ENCYCLOPEDIA is very unreliable and will take us centuries to correct, assuming anyone or some team of Hahnemannians wants to tackle the ridiculous subject made necessary by the fool named Timothy Allen.

Indeed, because it's such a dumb thing to have to do, it's simply being bypassed with development of the new materia medica by the G.H.G. Jahr Institut (sic, for it's a German-based affiliation), which will eventually number well over 100 volumes with an accompanying multi-volume repertory. It's a little overdue, but better late than never, and it will thereafter stay updated with computer technologies now available to us. It's a tremendous undertaking, but it has to be done.

As for the lady's case, are you telling me that you spotted her indicated remedy? I didn't, and I tend to demur from even attempting that online, but I'm sure she wants to know if you did. Therefore, please say it again, and I'll fix it for you, sir. If you can cure her, jump to it, sir.

Comment

Dear John,

I think I may have just figured out who you are. Did you use to edit a small newsletter and quasi medical journal for us out of Pennsylvania called the Hahnemannian something? It had a dark-green cover, was typed and was only a few pages long. It was clear that James Stephenson once had a hand in it. Was that your effort?

Comment

Working...
                              X