Help with sons ingrown toenail, please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with sons ingrown toenail, please

My son is 16 years old and told me this morning he is having trouble with an ingrown toenail. When he showed it to me, I was horrified! It is on the big toe of his left foot. The toe is very swollen. The toenail has grown twice the lenghth of the one on his right foot (due to the toe swelling and my son being unable to clip the nail). The nail appears to be thickened, opaque and has many ridges. The skin is inflamed and swollen on both sides of the nail. Red, weepy and bleeds close to the nail. Just white and swollen as you get out a little further from the nail. And the toe itself is red and swollen. I had been complaining about his feet smelling the past few weeks. Very putred smell, thinking he just wasn't paying enough attention to washing his feet. He now admits the smell is comming from the infection from his toe. The toe also feels hot to the touch and feels better when soaked in warm water opposed to cold. His father will be taking him to a medical doctor this evening, but I would prefer to deal with this using homeopathy. I know they will probably prescribe antibiotics for him and don't want to go that route. I would appreciate any suggestions. Please let me know if you need more information. Thank you in advance. Kathi

If the nail is thickened and opaque, I would suspect there is a fungus involved. This is usually one of the first signs and the smell also indicates this. You mentioned that he was seeing a Dr today, did the Dr confirm this? If the infection is under control, you can have you son soak his foot in an alkaline solution (vinegar and water will do) This will bring his PH more to the balance it should be and maybe knock out the fungus. If fungus is involved, antibiotics usually will not kill it, although it will kill the infection the ingrown toenail has caused the surrounding flesh. Once the offending nail is trimmed properly, have your son roll up a minute ball of cotton and insert it under the nail corner. This will relive the pressure and help the nail to grow out in the correct pattern. Again, if fungus is involved, proper washing of stockings and proper disinfection of sneakers must be followed.
    <BR>

Comment

Try Silica 30C three times a day and report back.

[This message has been edited by Ricky (edited 01 August 2000).]
      RSHom - Registered Homeopath

Comment

Thank you both for your replies. He did see a doctor last night and the doctor felt it was necessary to remove the nail. He never mentioned a fungal infection, but did of course prescribe an antibiotic. He showed me were there was actual muscle exposed and is slightly concerned that if the toe isn't kept exceptionally clean it could spread to the bone. He has also suggested soaking the foot in epsom salts and water and then putting an antibacterial cream on the wound before dressing it. I will start giving him the Silicea 30c and report back in a few days. What is your suggestion as far as the antibiotic and cream? Will these interfer with the Silicea? Thanks once again. Kathi

Comment

Has the nail been removed? If not the Silica will remove it if it is necessary!! BTW vinegar and water is an acid solution not alkali!! THe antibiotics may or may not inhibit the Silica. If it is the correct remedy it probably won't!!

Comment

Thanks, Ricky. Yes, the nail was removed, but not destroyed. So, it will eventually grow back. I just removed the dressing and have him soaking it in epsom salts and water. It looks horrible! I did start him on Silicea today and will let you know how it looks in a few days. Thanks once again. Kathi

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kylene:
              you can have you son soak his foot in an alkaline solution (vinegar and water will do) This will bring his PH more to the balance it should be and maybe knock out the fungus.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kylene, vinegar is an acid, not a base (alkaline). Is this what you meant?

RF

Comment

KathiR, Ricky and RF: Sorry, it has been an extremely busy month and I did mean to clarify what I wrote when I had a little more time, and time got away from me - again! I have used the vinegar and water solution for nail fungus many times and it seems to work quite well. I did not mean alkaline. The vinegar solution seems to help the balance of acids and alkaline. Remember, I am not a homeopath. I am trying to combine the best from all of the alternative methods. Sometimes a little mix here and there go a long way. Kathi, by all means, if you are looking for only a homeopathic solution disregard my advice. If you are into alternative methods, you could give this tip a try and see if it helps. Thanks and sorry for the misunderstanding, kylene
                <BR>

Comment

Hi Ricky. Checking back with you to see how I should continue. I've been giving the Silicea 30C three times a day. The toe has improved greatly, even though it still is far from being normal. The top of the toe (where the toe nail was removed is still a bit raw and will leave the bandage pink after a period of several hours). There doesn't seem to be any discharge of any kind and the horrible odor is gone . Swelling on the right side of the toe is gone, but the left side is still quite swollen. This is the side that the ingrown toenail first started on. No pain unless he accidentally bumps it. Can wear shoes comfortably and is on his feet for about 6 hours straight at work. How are we doing? He will be taking off for camp on Sunday for about 5 days, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this will be under control. Let me know what you think we should do. Thanks again. Kathi

Comment

I would like to see the swelling go down on the other side. If there is any infection there the silica should deal with it. By my reckoning the Silica has been taken for 2 days. Give it another 2 days maximum. As soon as the swelling starts going down on the other side cut down the Silica to one a day and then stop. If you have Calendula tincture put a few drops in some water and bathe the top of toe where it is still raw. Or use Calendula or Hypercal cream which should be easily obtainable. It heals wounds quickly but must not be used if there is any infection underneath.

Comment

If you son is having ingrown toenail fungus then do not worry. Tell him to try some natural home remedies to cure ingrown toenail fungus infection. These home remedies are very easy to apply and your son does not need much time to try these remedies. So, let him try these and they will definitely help him get rid of ingrown toenail fungus.
                      Know the best 17 home remedies to treat ingrown toenail fungus at home. See the best results after applying them for some regular days.

Comment

Working...
                      X