Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torn Ankle Ligaments

Hi,
    My husband twisted his right ankle very badly this morning on some wet leaves in a wooded area. We went to the emergency room because he thought it was broken but after they x-rayed it they said that the ligaments are probably badly bruised/torn. They placed a plastic splint around the ankle and gave him crutches to keep the weight off. If if doesn't feel better in a week they recommended an orthopedic physician follow-up. Is there a recommended remedy that would help the pain, swelling and promote healing? His right arm is somewhat sore, probably used to break the fall. I've read where arnica or ruta is usually prescribed. If so what dose and how often? He is 53 years old, 5'10" and weighs about 225.

Thanks,
    Sue K

[ 04. April 2003, 21:28: Message edited by: Sue K ]

You probably can't go wrong with a 30C. Take it as needed. Depending on when it happened and how bad it is, 'as needed' could be as often as every 15 minutes or only once.

Start with the Arnic until the swelling and bruising are gone and then switch to Ruta.

[ 04. April 2003, 15:57: Message edited by: sreischman ]
    Shirley Reischman

Comment

Hi,
      The ankle and foot area looks much better today. The calf area is swelled and if he turns the leg a certain way he gets worse pain. He took the arnica every couple of hours yesterday, about 5 times, and I gave him one this morning. When should we start the Ruta, because there looks like a lot of improvement so far?

Thanks so much,
      Sue K

Comment

Look closely to see if the swelling and bruising are gone. If so, then you could consider switching. But don't be in a rush to switch. As long as there is significant improvement with the Arnica, stay with it.
        Shirley Reischman

Comment

arnica 6x ground up and mixed with talc and used with gentle lymphatic drainage will help the condition.
          synchronicity here....
          I fell over a metre last week and did the same thing. My daughter brought out what she thought was Arn. 1M. but was in fact Anac 1M which I discovered when I was in triage at the local hospital. I panicked somewhat until I got home and found Anac to be a specific antidote for ill effects of ivy ( which I had been clearing- check to see if there was any in the woodland) and also useful for lower limb joints (ankles?)
          No ill effects from the Anac for me..maybe has curbed my usual hyperactivity and allowed me to sit an heal......so maybe a consideration for an acute remedy for ankle injuries in ivy covered areas!

Comment

Hi,
            He is going to make an appointment to see an orthopedic doctor this week. His ankle, heal and part of his calf are almost black in areas. He said he heard a crack when he went down and maybe the Emergency Room didn't x-ray all the necessary areas. He's still taking the arnica every few hours. He may have more injury than originally thought.

Thanks,
            Sue K

Comment

Sue,
              The cracking noise he heard may well have been the ligaments stretching or tearing. If it is really bad a small fracture may have occured where the ligament attaches to the bone.
              There is nearly always spectacular bruising in this area,(this is due to gravity & the many small veins in this area)and one of the most efficient modalities to aid in a quicker recovery from a severe sprain is Lymphatic Drainage massage.Check the net for a registered Dr Vodder School practitioner in your area.They have a very high standard of ethics and the training is internationally recognised.
              Alternate ice and heat packs, applied regularly EVERY 2 hours also aids a quick recovery.
              When you get your husband re Xrayed, be sure that the Xray is with medial, lateral and oblique shots as navicular breaks are often not seen with the standard medial and lateral views.
              If you are really concerned & can afford it, a CT scan will show up any damage, but often a fracture doesn't show on a too recent injury as the "scab" hasn't started to form internally on the bone.
              Even a severe sprain will often need a plaster cast or possibly a cam walker (very expensive, but easier to manage showers etc).
              I did my ankle just 9 days ago and it was very severe, and I passed out from the pain several times. Also had the cracking on impact and again when removing my boots (Blundstones...)
              Arnica 200c for 5 days morning and night with alternate days using lymph drainage on myself (very hard for a massage therapist to work on themselves with this injury) and an accredited lymph drainage massage therapist working for nearly 2 hours just 3 days after the injury, has substantially reduced the swelling and bruising.
              I have also had magnetic field therapy directly on the ankle and chiropractic adjustments to knee, hip and spine. These have all helped to reduce the time I have to spend away from my clinic and I took my first client since the accident today. ( the doctor said I was likely to be off for about 6 weeks!)
              I hope you will consider these other therapies as an adjunct to the spectacular healing powers of homeopathy.

Comment

Hi,
                My husband went to the orthopedic doctor today and he has a ruptured deltoid ligament, ruptured deltoid tibia fibular syndesmosis, and a fractured fibular shaft. He will be going in on Monday for surgery. What remedies would be best for before, after, & how long?

Thanks,
                Sue K

Comment

Arnica , 1 dose prior to op & have Phos on hand for post anaesthesia problems (vomiting) and Hypericum for any surgical and nerve ending damage.
                  Stay with the Arnica while it is still in an acute stage and working.
                  MLD is excellent pre & post operatively, reducing the oedema and scarring.
                  good luck with it all

Comment

Hi,
                    What potentcy for the various remedies should be used throughtout this?

Thanks,

Sue K

Comment

Sounds horribly painful and my thoughts are with your husband.
                      If you are new to homeopathy, I would suggest that 30C potencies are what I consider to be the most useful.
                      However, having said that, the energy of the ailment has to be taken into consideration and the age/vital force of the patient.
                      Prescribing in a classical manner, before an operation, I would suggest an Arnica 30C. Only take another Arnica if there is much pain or bruising after the operation. (again... Less is more in homeopathy...)
                      If there is an adverse reaction to anaesthesia, I would give a Phos 30C. In Aust, the nurses in the ward give ice to patients recently returned from theatre, rather than water, and I have found that when this hits stomach temperature, in susceptible people, the nausea often begins.

caution again...

If there is nerve pain after surgery, then a 30C Hypericum. 1 dose only.
                      If the ankle is not enclosed in plaster or fibreglass, then bathing the affected limb in Hypericum tincture will act as an "antiseptic" and nerve healer, but don't do both. Work with what remedies you do have access to.
                      No vomiting/nausea or nervine pain - then just take an Arnica.
                      Later you could go to another remedy if indicated.

I have found that basically if doubt about something - don't do it!

Light massage, starting at the top of the leg toward the heart and then working toward the affected area(difficult if in plaster) will keep the lymph flowing and reduce the likelihood of DVT. (An aspirin - extract of willow bark - will also have a blood thinning effect. A full strength aspirin can affect the platelet clotting effects for about 5-6 days)

Comment

Hi,
                        He had surgery last Saturday. The doctor had to put a plate and 2 screws to correct the ankle placement. He has a cast up to his knee. They prescribed percocet which he has been trying to wean off of by taking some tylenol and arnica 30 during the day. By the evening it hurts very badly. Is there anything he can take to relieve the pain and eventually get off the percocet/tylenol?

Thanks,
                        Sue K

Comment

Apologies for the delay in replying, but have been bush with no power or running water- no mod cons at all.

When your husband takes the Arnica does it help at all?

If it does, then he should repeat the dose as needed whilst in pain. If the Arn 30 seems to wear off quickly, then a 200 may be indicated, also taken as needed.

Don't beat yourself up too much about taking pain killers, I believe they serve a valid function if used in moderation when indicated. When extreme pain is felt then the body responds physiologically to that stimulus and if you can remove the pain, then the body can concentrate on healing the wound.

If there is no relief from the Arnica, Comfrey may help with the healing process if indicated.(Looking at an online repertory will help to guide you here, if you don't have any homeopathic reference books.)

Make sure you follow the Orthopaedic surgeon's directions about elevation and non weight bearing as this will really speed up the healing especially where plates and pins are involved.

Comment

Hi,
                            The arnica 30 didn't seem to make a difference. Two days ago, a week after his operation, I gave him ruta 30 and that evening he said that the pain lifted significantly to the point he is off the pain killers. He has since taken the remedy 2 times per day. He went back to the doctors yesterday to have the stitches taken out and the doctor was pleased with the progress and gave him a removable cast. He wants to see him again in 5 weeks. He said he can start putting some pressure on the foot in a couple of weeks. How would you suggest to proceed with the remedies?

Thanks so much,
                            Sue K

Comment

If he got relief from the Ruta, continue!
                              As he is in a removable cast, and once the wound is fully healed, light topical application of wheatgerm oil (or any Vitamin E oil) will assist in the scar repair.

Comment

Working...
                              X