Combos and complexes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combos and complexes

If I still had some hair on my head, they would stand straight right now, in horror and awe at reading the total lack of knowledge and misunderstanding about the real, scientific, way to use complex remedies.

Some of us DO know homeopathy inside out at all levels......

I am not talking about the OTC, commercially prepared bottles, "this for that": this is allopathy indeed, using dynamised substances, not homeopathy.

I am not talking about the complex remedies used in Homotoxicology, Anthroposophical Medicine, Homeobotanical medicine, or the Reckeweg system: those are homotoxicological, anthroposophical, homeobotanical and Reckeweg remedies prescribed according to their respective principles of practice, and they do not call themselves Homeopaths.

The complexist approach is different: first it is a clinical, pathology-oriented approach, aimed at treating a state of disease in a system or organ of a patient, using the symptoms, signs and modalities developed by that system/organ and not relating to "totality" of the patient

Example: a patient with liver insufficiency or hepatitis; most of the general symptoms and signs that I would include in a classical/Hahnemaniann/Kentian approach are the result of the metabolic imbalance due to the liver situation. Any "constitution", any "miasm" will present with almost the same clinical symptoms and the few individual variations specific to a patient are not enough to prescribe upon, if at all perceptible. Therefore it is indicated to treat the liver status first, remove the pathological symptoms and signs, THEN get to the essential core of the problem that has led to liver insufficiency or hepatitis.

Within that plan it is possible to "take the case" of an organ: which part of the liver is enlarged leads to different remedies, the local symptoms, aggravations, amelioration and modalities will provide a list of different remedies. So far nothing much different.....but we are here dealing with a very physical system where physiology and biochemistry are perturbed; the different remedies have different modes of actions (and some of us know them when studied from a herbalist point of view, just compare the MM for Taraxacum, Silybum and Cynara in herbal and homeopathic textbooks....) and despite what many have written, they DO work in synergy.

In situations like that, what is important is not to know which remedy was effective, but that the TREATMENT was effective, the patient is back to his normal previous status, now we can go on and treat deeply.

Here is a treatment I prescribed yesterday to a colleague in his seventies with sudden (a few months ago) appearance of a mitral valve prolapse with slowly progressing heart failure and shortness of breath.

Those are the rubrics I used (Mac Rep and RefWorks):

Heart & circulation; HEART and region of; valves, valvular complaints; mitral (27)

Respiration; GASPING; heart complaints, in (1)

Generalities; HEART complaints, in (311)

Respiration; DIFFICULT; heart complaints, in (67)

Respiration; DIFFICULT; heart complaints, in; valvular (2)

Mitral valve prolapse (4) :

Mitral valve (47) : Respiration; DIFFICULT; exertion agg. (123)

Heart & circulation; EXERCISE, after; slight (50)

The major remedies that appeared useful here are Lauroceraseus, Strophantus and Apocynum Cannabinum. I eliminated the animal remedies (snakes...) as being too potent for him right now and the others as not being sufficiently heart specific, settled on those 3 using HERBAL indications, which are exactly the same in homeopathic materia medicas, only more developed....so yes, you could say this is a herbal prescription using potentised herbs, if you want.

As a first stage he will take them separately, for a simple reason: IMO he will be able to stop the Apocynum quickly, if that prescription works, then we can adapt the doses of the others (that is the PLURALISTIC approach), then both remaining remedies will be put together to form a combo/complex specific to his cardiac condition and prepared according to repertorisation and materia medica.

That is how you create a combo/complex remedy, that is how you use multiple remedies at the same time.

What is not acceptable for practitioners is to throw into the same bottle remedies that vaguely related to a few symptoms and hope for the best.

Have a Happy New Year and a Merry Hanukkah.

Joe.

Dr. J. Rozencwajg, NMD.

"The greatest enemy of any science is a closed mind"

Visit my new website www.naturamedica.webs.com

Re: Combos and complexes

Hi, Joe --

Let me offer you thanks for the reasoning you've described here. This approach sounds at least thoughtful. It is apparently *homoeopathic* only transiently and superficially, but that's neither here nor there (as I don't think you're claiming it to enter into homoeopathy at all); the interesting thing is to know how it's done and why.

Hughes used low-potency and even crude medicines on the basis of his understanding that organic problems required material solutions. His approach, whilst being a bit rough and lacking in the possibility of the refinement that potentisation offers, was by and large squarely homoeopathic.

In stark contrast, Compton-Burnett, who typically used the same kinds of medicines as Hughes did and typically (but not always) used them singly as Hughes did, rarely practised homoeopathy. It was organ therapy, it was perhaps herbology, it was certainly highly intuitive, and it was doubtless highly successful. By and large, however, it was not, however,
    homoeopathy: it lacked the basis that all homoeopathic practice requires, knowledge of pathogenesis. His knowledgeableness of disease and his dedication prevented others from calling it as it was, but that's the incontestable fact of the matter.

There is no less respect due to him for that, except in that he did homoeopathy no service by allowing a persistent confusion between it and his organ therapies.

Shannon will be the first to jump up and down with questions for you concerning how you decide this or prescribe that in this system, and her energy for such pursuit unerringly earns my admiration. What those of us who respect the necessity of the law of similars to homoeopathy draw the line at is the insistence by some that homoeopaths somehow adopt these "similar" practices without basis in the law of similars into homoeopathy, allmost as though that would not utterly obliterate homoeopathy's sole distinction from all else.

Thanks again. Kind regards,

John

Comment

With apologies for typos!

John

Comment

Does a human function in isolation from his environment, his family, his country?

As above, so below, the microcosm is the same as the macrocosm, etc,........ The Butterfly effect, what else can I write...??

Completely cure someone of all his problems and remove all his miasms, each and every pathology, make him the healthiest man on earth physically, mentally, emotionally, spiritually, then drop him in the middle of Fukushima watch what happens......

Joe.

Dr. J. Rozencwajg, NMD.

Comment

It is homeopathy, as is how Compton-Burnett practiced (I read everything he wrote, he repertorised his cases, organotherapy was in addition to the Homeopathic prescription) but as I wrote, focussed on a system, an organ or a precise pathology.

So in this "system" the "whole patient" is the liver or the heart and everything that relates to that is taken into account.

The repertories are very clearly made with this practice in mind, if you look further than the Mind and Generalities, which is something too many homeopaths tend to forget.

A few months ago, I gave lecture about the use of TCM diagnosis, tongue and pulses, in order to help find a remedy; in that lecture, I showed how to use the findings of the examinations to select rubrics. The rubrics came of course from the sections 'Mouth, Tongue' and 'Heart and Circulation, Pulse'.

Quite a few professional practitioners clearly mentioned that they did not recognise the rubrics, or did not understand what they meant.........and those rubrics were extracted from the Complete Repertory 2005.

Do I need to say more?

How can you practice Homeopathic Medicine or any form of Medicine if you cannot (or are not wanting to) even feel a pulse? Palpate a liver? Listen to a lung?

And that goes for conventional medicine too, as I keep witnessing horror stories day in and day out.....

Joe.

Dr. J. Rozencwajg, NMD.

Comment

On Dec 22, 2011, at 2:53 PM, Dr. J. Rozencwajg, NMD. wrote:

> If I still had some hair on my head, they would stand straight right now, in
            > horror and awe at reading the total lack of knowledge and misunderstanding
            > about the real, scientific, way to use complex remedies.
            >

Dear Joe,

I don't think anyone was considering the use of complex remedies in the way you mean - where they are devised specifically in response to the symptoms and needs of a specific patient, and using the known features of each remedy.
            Probably you are one of the few experts in knowing how to do this well.
            I think all the discussion so far here, has been concerning the commercially available mixtures that you so correctly describe here as allopathy - and their misnaming as homeopathy.

It would be a much more interesting discussion to learn more about how to correctly use one or more remedies in the pathology-oriented approach to suit a patient, that you are talking about, where the selected remedies whether herbal, mineral, etc or potentized, are of known activity and are selected to help suitably in the patient with the presenting pathology.

I'm currently trying to do some of that - matching local symptoms to helpful remedies - and not succeeding very well yet. But I need to get on top of it in order to clear the way for a main homeopathic remedy to be able to work properly.

I think my first experience with it was in 2000 when I needed support for heart symptoms in a more direct way, and not only a single homeopathic remedy to effect longterm heart healing. It was a simple example: I used hawthorn berry herb to strengthen the heart, building from 2 caps to 8 caps a day and continued that heart support till the simillimum homeopathic remedy could effect longterm healing about six months later - and then I tapered off the herb. That herbal support was not enough initially for daily needs, if I needed to move much. I also needed Quebracho 4C before each incidence of exertion (exertion being crossing a room to another chair for example), as that gave me the extra short burst needed for that activity to occur.
            So my "complex" was then hawthorn berry, Quebracho and a simillimum, dosed individually as needed. But all three components were specific to my particular needs and chosen based on their known action.

> The complexist approach is different: first it is a clinical,
            > pathology-oriented approach, aimed at treating a state of disease in a
            > system or organ of a patient, using the symptoms, signs and modalities
            > developed by that system/organ and not relating to "totality" of the patient.

It's a very important need to meet too.
            A single homeopathic remedy can not do everything needed in a case no matter how well matched it is. It needs nutrition, lifestyle, supplements, and often local pathology support.
            I like the example you gave. And I like the ideas available in your book on Organotherapy, Drainage Detoxification - which is where I am currently "stuck" with a case.

It seems to me that there is another organ to be addressed besides the usual ones listed: The omentum. It is not just a fat collection organ; it turns out it is metabolically very active tissue, and can have a very large influence on all other organs if riled up during treatment, as it produces gluco-corticoids, which in turn trigger adrenaline and insulin with their effects, affect aldosterone, deplete electrolytes, and generally make a royal mess of the body's metabolic chances of homeostasis.
            As a secondary effect, it will deposit edema inches thick, if more toxin is released than can be handled immediately, which in turn has more far reaching effects.
            ALL these issues are essential to handle and will NOT be handled by the simillimum remedy - which if anything will release toxins from fat tissue - but not automatically usher them out of the system.
            So the omentum organ (and other organs) absolutely need other options in place to manage events during handling of pathology and working towards healthy organs.

As to the omentum as an organ in this regard:
            (especially in an abdominally overweight individual). Perhaps the management of its reduction has to be handled by concentrating on excretory organs, treating it as if it is an inert toxin storage system like ordinary fat tissue, but I suspect that will fail. Somehow it needs selection of remedies for a complex that take into account the glucocorticoids produced, *and* the effects of those on multiple other systems *and* the toxins released from the fatty tissue. It's an awful lot that is going to need handling all at once, with each dose of toxin releasing simillimum.

I've been reading the PubMed website (National Library of Medicine) to look for herbs or other substances proven to have an effect that may be useful for omentum "organotherapy, detox and drainage". (ODD for short). It's a slow process, but i find it encouraging that some of this research is now being listed at PubMed. [Much of it is from India or Russia that I have found so far - more open minded places in terms of investigating natural substances and their abilities, than USA.]

My hope is that as the omentum tends to misbehave metabolically in a way that throws a spanner in the works during any attempt at homeopathy, it would be nice to find some remedies that address its metabolic misbehavior aspects.

Does this "omentum organ health" approach fit with the kind of use of complexes that you are referring to? "Taking the case" of the omentum and what it is doing, and working to remedy that somehow, with however many items are needed to effect the needed results?

> I eliminated the animal remedies (snakes...) as
            > being too potent for him right now

Too potent? Please expand on this concept?
            Would you expect a snake remedy to aggravate regardless of potency or dose dilution or?

> That is how you create a combo/complex remedy, that is how you use multiple
            > remedies at the same time.
            >
            > What is not acceptable for practitioners is to throw into the same bottle
            > remedies that vaguely related to a few symptoms and hope for the best.

Well said. If I had any to spare, I'd lend you some hair to put back down again:-)

>
            > Have a Happy New Year and a Merry Hanukkah.

Thank you - to you the same.

Namaste,
            Irene
            --
            Irene de Villiers, B.Sc AASCA MCSSA D.I.Hom/D.Vet.Hom.
            P.O. Box 4703 Spokane WA 99220.
            www.angelfire.com/fl/furryboots/clickhere.html (Veterinary Homeopath.)
            "Man who say it cannot be done should not interrupt one doing it."

Comment

Hi, Joe --

I'm unsure of the intent of your Fukushima reference, except, I suppose, to say that the completely healthy individual is not independent of environment. That's fair enough. And the discussion you've initiated here, and Irene's contribution to it, are interesting of themselves. It would be a shame for such informed discussion to necessitate any kind of obfuscation of the clear meaning of homoeopathic practice, and for that reason it seems to me to be of value to remain clear that by definition homoeopathic practice occurs not in relation to the universe, the nation state, the family, or the organ, but precisely in relation to the whole human being.

I take your point that the human being is not an isolated entity, though.

Kind regards,

John

On 23 December 2011 13:07, Dr. J. Rozencwajg, NMD. <jroz (AT) ihug (DOT) co.nz> wrote:

> Does a human function in isolation from his environment, his family, his country?
              > As above, so below, the microcosm is the same as the macrocosm, etc,........
              > The Butterfly effect, what else can I write...??
              >
              > Completely cure someone of all his problems and remove all his miasms, each and every pathology, make him the healthiest man on earth physically, mentally, emotionally, spiritually, then drop him in the middle of Fukushima watch what happens......
              >
              > Joe.

"And if care became the ethical basis of citizenship? Our parliaments,
              guided by such ideas, would be very different places."

€”Paul Ginsborg, *Democracy: Crisis and Renewal*, London: Profile, 2008.

Comment

You seem to have a mastery of using homeopathic remedies to treat conditions that have progressed beyond constitutional treatment.
                I was told this is considered lesional prescribing, where organs are becoming damaged or weakened as their homeopathic disease has progressed thus also their allopathic named diseases.

Dr. Joe,

There is certainly a need for this as many people wait too late to seek alternative medical help as many of the patients you have described seem to.

I may need this type of prescribing one day as while my constitutional treatment is progressing, so are my miasmatic based diseases.
                Kind of a race, will my kidneys, pancreas, liver, eyes, blood vessels, heart suffer irreparable organ damage while I wait for the possibility of the classical homeopathic cure which includes organs as well as all psora based ills, as described by Hahnemann.

Instead of using homeopathic remedies for short term help that may be confusing to my vital force while taking constitutional remedies for long term/permanent cure, I opt for naturopathic methods, using herbal, vitamins, etc. and have been urged by my current homeopath to see a naturopath. Since I have a long history of diverse health systems pointing to liver insufficiencies, I find many liver related herbs and vitamins helpful.. I recently found shiitake mushrooms helpful, that based on it's "super beneficial" status for type B blood, as taught by D'Adamo in his blood type diet plans.

Since you never called your practice classical homeopathy and most, even you, don't consider it that, what school is this type of organ based prescribing and combo complexes taught, if at all? If Hahnemann didn't prescribe and describe how to in the Organon, who did? We'd need someone who looked at Hahnemann's casebooks to see if he ever practiced this way, treating organs, then treating constitutionally.

While I applaud you for being able to tackle these more serious medical cases, as most non-medical lay homeopaths could not, if these quasi-ER style cases were to have pursued classical homeopaths early on, could it have obviated the need to seek this type of emergency help?

Still not sure how mixing the remedies as you do and administering all at once always ensures a successful outcome. While herbal synergy is discussed and promoted, not clear how it is shown to actually be true, how can it be also be shown reliably that homeopathic synergy actually exists, unless it is specifically a phenomenon of organs?

Susan

Comment

On Dec 22, 2011, at 6:40 PM, John Harvey wrote:

> I'm unsure of the intent of your Fukushima reference, except, I suppose, to
                  > say that the completely healthy individual is not independent of
                  > environment.

As Hahnemann was at pains to insist upon. He was the first to stress lifestyle, nutrition etc,
                  Nor is man independent of organ dysfuntions or toxins, from whatever cause.
                  Rather than allow a malfunctioning organ to deteriorate and pull down the individual, it is surely better to treat it to bring it up to par.

The case I am working on now for example, frustratingly can not use a homeopathic simillimum because of a severe organ dysfunction of the omentum. Any dose of simillimum or "totality of the body remedy", riles up this organ and causes serious - even life threatening- toxicity response. Excretory organs also need assistance to be able to eliminate suitably, the toxins released that can not be chemically countered in situ.
                  Either way - homeopathy is not available as an option till the organs can handle it - and the organs need remedies that are selected on homeopathic principles for each organ - no other system heals, than the homeopathically (meaning invoking law of similars) selected one.
                  Perhaps this is less easy to observe when working on less intricate cases, where a simillimum can handle the totality - but too many cases these days, are indeed of that level of complexity.

Namaste,
                  Irene
                  --

Comment

Basically it is very simple, but long and tedious: you read the "small" remedies and you learn them from the homeopathic MM, proved or not, from the herbal MM, the naturopathic MM, the TCM ones, the Ayurvedic ones, etc, then you have a complete picture.

An example is what I have done in my book Dynamic Gemmotherapy (due to be revised when I have time BTW).

Too potent.....yes, those are, at least in my personal experience, "violent" remedies and the changes they cause, even towards cure, might be so strong that they aggravate the patient, something I do not wish to do at all in this case....or others.

Omentum: congratulations! You saw that organ that is missed by many practitioners; it has all (and more) metabolic issues you are talking about plus has the nasty habit of immobilising abdominal organs....unfortunately, no "specific" remedies but one simple treatment: visceral manipulation...... but this is an hands on learning experience.

Joe.

Dr. J. Rozencwajg, NMD.

Comment

The world did not stop with Hahnemann....he did have a tough enough time to create and explain, as much as science in his time could, the works of homeopathy....others came after him and although his principle and definitions still are perfectly correct and have stood the test of time, others have done more research: Hughes, Crompton-Burnett, Vannier, etc,....

And I can tell you that H did not treat organs then constitutionally, remember that "konstituzion" for H meant the body build, not the Kentian and neo-kentian meaning.

And in his case books, at least the ones I read during my studies with David Little are often very clinical: Mr. X came if for this problem, gave him that remedy, he is cured......

As I wrote, take some time to compare the MM for the same plant or substance in different modalities, then you will seen the similitude, which goes hand in hand with what I wrote earlier on, that most of those treatment are working through homeopathic rules.

The rules of synergy are well known to herbalists and well demonstrated, it would take me hours to go into explanations, sorry.

Certainly, if you can find one single remedy able to treat a situation, that is the ideal. When dealing with organic changes it is not really a possibility except in very few cases or in real acutes, like belladonna or aconite or arnica situations.....the less remedies, the better....

Joe.

Dr. J. Rozencwajg, NMD.

Comment

On Dec 22, 2011, at 8:15 PM, Dr. J. Rozencwajg, NMD. wrote:

> The world did not stop with Hahnemann....

Thank goodness, because the diseases did not stop getting worse either.

It takes much more to cure a complex case nowadays and they are a lot more complex than in Hahnemann's time. Just the mess made by allopathic drugs and vaccines has seen to that much - and then we must add in the pollution of every kind imaginable added in the name of "progress" - and all the interactions between them.

A practitioner has to be constantly seeking better ways to handle worse illnesses.
                        Both in humans and in animals.
                        Just this week, one poor kitten had been given FOUR different steroid drugs, three different and toxic antibiotics, a diuretic (when the disease was already losing blood serum through leakage) and a chemotherapy drug, supposedly to induce appetite, and that's without the presenting disease, which also only exists since man invented excessive "annual" vaccinations.
                        This kind of insult to a live system, never existed in Hahnemann's time and no single remedy would ever have a hope of fixing it - though one is needed at the core of treatment to re-set the immune system.
                        Without a lot of additional specific supports to the damaged system, there's be no chance for the main remedy to do any work, the kitten would long since have died from drug damage. And in fact most do die before the procedures needed can be begun.
                        >
                        > And I can tell you that H did not treat organs then constitutionally, remember that "konstituzion" for H meant the body build, not the Kentian and neo-kentian meaning.
                        >
                        > And in his case books, at least the ones I read during my studies with David Little are often very clinical: Mr. X came if for this problem, gave him that remedy, he is cured......

> Certainly, if you can find one single remedy able to treat a situation, that is the ideal.

Hard to find those cases these days - too much organ damage from allopathic and other manmade onslaughts - either directly, or more often as a long-term consequence of earlier internal damage such as to the thymus as is now universally applied starting soon after birth (via vaccines) - losing the security system that otherwise would prevent chronic disease - quite different from H's day.

One can use homeopathy at the core of the treatment, and I suspect it has to be there to succeed, but it will seldom be curative on its own any more.
                        So it matters that the world "did not stop with Hahnemann".
                        Practitioners who miss the train are as much at fault as allopaths who miss the point, or combo makers who have no clue what they are making mixtures to do.

> When dealing with organic changes it is not really a possibility except in very few cases or in real acutes, like belladonna or aconite or arnica situations.....the less remedies, the better....

Namaste,
                        Irene
                        --

Comment

On Dec 23, 2011, at 12:39 AM, Paul Booyse wrote:

>
                          >
                          > Hi Irene,
                          >
                          >> The world did not stop with Hahnemann....

>
                          > Thank goodness, because the diseases did not stop getting worse either.
                          >
                          > It takes much more to cure a complex case nowadays and they are a lot more complex than in Hahnemann's time. Just the mess made by allopathic drugs and vaccines has seen to that much -
                          >
                          > *********
                          >
                          > You think so ?

Yes I know so:-)
                          Hahnemann had it relatively easy. There were toxins indeed then, but never the onslaught against the organs of today's drugs, especially when it comes to the organs that need to respond to remedy, namely the immune system. It is regularly destroyed these days.

>
                          > So using a complex can have just such an effect and more so when it is used for extended periods.

If by a complex, you mean a mixture of remedies other than as Dr Rozencwajg described individualized for a patient, this will not help the involved diseses seen these days.

> Of course complexes have some effect and can help in acute cases....

I do not trust them for that myself.
                          Namaste,
                          Irene
                          --

Comment

Homoeopathy=Single Remedies - Indian National Homoeopathic Science Congress

Nov 5 & 6, 2011 - XXII Indian National Homoeopathic Science Congress in New Delhi

Resolutions found here: Resolutions of IHP XXII National Homoeopathic Congress | Similima

"The XXII National Homoeopathic Science Congress, held in New Delhi during November 5-6, 2011, had unanimously adopted the following 10 resolutions, calling for further strengthening the movement for spread of the homeopathic school of medicine across the country, and checking certain deleterious trends.

10] Suitable amendments to the Homoeopathic Pharmacopoeia to stop the mixing and compounding of Homoeopathic drugs, against the principle of Homoeopathy that calls for use of single, simple, similar remedies to achieve the goal of cure as propounded by the founding father Samuel Hahnemann."

Comment

On Dec 23, 2011, at 3:23 AM, Paul Booyse wrote:

> I know that argument that vaccines create a chronic state etc. I am just saying that in H's time patients were chronically and acutely poisoned by the heavy metals.

True, but their damage is easier to reverse than a missing immune system:-)

It's not an "argument" that vaccines create a chronic state.
                              What happens is the the vaccine literally destroys the thymus gland, atrophies it, so that it is not there to prevent chronic illness. No other aspect of the immune system can defend against chronic disease, so it is a matter of time before chronic disese ocurs. Not a question of whether it will but when it will.... and it can be cancer, FIP FIV, FeLV, diabtes, Cushigns syndrome, pemphigus, asthma, etc etc - any chronic disease has free access once the thymus is gone.

The immediate damage from a vaccine other than thymus damage, can also create chronic illness directly - by introducing non-attenuated or insufficiently attenuated live vaccine, while removing immune system ability to respond, by overwhelming numbers of pathogens introduced.

Or the introductio of forein protein to an already damaged immune system can cause serious reactions.

In adjuvanted vaccines, the adjuvant itself also does more damage than the thymus atrophy.

The worst damage however is the removal of thymus defence against the truly serious chronic diseases. A lot of drugs besides vaccines cause this atrophy - glucocorticoid steroids, chemotherapics are worst, along with formaldehyde, and other chemicals. Steroids are handed out like candy these days. It's hard to find a human or animal with any thymus left.

Namaste,
                              Irene
                              --

Comment

Working...
                              X