Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boenninghausen's books

Dear List,

I read "How to find the simillimum with Boger-Boenninghausen's Repertory" by Dr. Bhanu D.Desai. I think it is a good book helps me go into the teaching of Boenninghausen and understand how the read Boenninghausen Reportory. In this book page(3) mention a book "Boger-Boenninghausen's Repertory". However, I can not find a book under the same name. I could only find

1)Boenninghausen's Characteristics Materia Medica and Repertory by Boger Cyrus Maxwell
    2)Boenninghausen's Characteristics Materia Medica by Boger Cyrus Maxwell
    3)Boenninghausen's Therapeutic Pocket Book by Allen T.F

Can anyone give me information of the difference of these book EX." Is the Therapeutic Pocket Book by Allen T.F. same as the Pocket Book Chapter in "Boenninghausen's Characteristics Materia Medica and Repertory". Are they same piece of teaching but different author??

What book I need to have if I want to learn the Boenninghausen teaching in depth.

PL
    Last edited by jonh; 17th November 2004, 10:54 AM.

Re: Boenninghausen's book

Boger's rep, Boger- Boenningausen's characteristics Materia Medica and repertory are the same. This one was done by Boger as an improvement on the original therapeutic pocket book since he was not satisfied with the existing translations. Boger evolved his own " method" and added local modalities, and local time modalities from the original Therapeutic Book method of Location- sensation- Modality (aggravation & amelioration).

The therapeutic pocket book was the one conceived by Boenninghaussen and translated into English by many - the notable being the American edition by T F Allen.

In T F Allen's edition, there is a preface done by Roberts which is all you will need to know the method. Now, some are doing lesional prescribing with the TPB .. Roberts recommends the entire case . Also , you can visit www.boger-boenninghaussen.com for a better understanding. Also hahnemann-institute sydney( do a google search) for George dimitriadis''s site.

Venkat
    Last edited by jonh; 17th November 2004, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Boenninghausen's Books

You could take a look at the work of George Dimitriadis from Australia. George has spent the last nine years researching and more recently teaching 'The Bonninghausen Repertory - Therapeutic Pocketbook Method' in Australia and New Zealand and is a leading authority on this repertorial method. He has used the method exclusively in his clinic for more than five years.

The forward to 'The Bonninghausen Repertory (Therapeutic Pocketbook Method)' reads: ..... "In consultation with Dr K-H Gypser in Germany, and with access to original German sources annotated in some cases by Bonninghausen's own hand, George has created a text that is more accurate, easier to use and clearer in meaning than any previous English edition. Various transcription errors and mistranslations in previous editions have been identified and corrected. Verified additions have been made from other untranslated publications of Bonninghausen, and extensive endnotes give the clinician unprecedented certainty as to the shades of meaning that differentiate related items." This work was published in 2000.

This year, George Dimitriadis has also published 'Homoeopathic Diagnosis' which is an instructional manual detailing the concept, construction and application of the repertorial method of Bonninghausen. In two parts, with over fifty case exercises illustrating the application of The Bonninghausen Repertory:

Part One details the development and genius of Bonninghausen's Therapeutic Pocketbook and shows the link between the Homoeopathy of Hahnemann and Bonninghausen's practical method for its clinical application. It also described how this method may be applied in every case of disease with ease and confidence.

Part Two illustrates the application of this method with cases from George's clinic.

The entire work is extensively referenced to source material with numerous excerpts from original works and manuscripts not otherwise readily accessible.
      Last edited by jonh; 17th November 2004, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Re: Boenninghausen's Books

Originally posted by Okeefp
        You could take a look at the work of George Dimitriadis from Australia.
        I was waiting for someone to say something! Thanks!

Originally posted by Okeefp
        This year, George Dimitriadis has also published 'Homoeopathic Diagnosis'
        Great (though dense) little book.

Dimitriadis and Gypser seem to be the ones who know the method best.

JW
        Last edited by jonh; 17th November 2004, 10:44 PM.

Comment

Thanks for this!

SK
          Last edited by jonh; 18th November 2004, 09:32 AM.

Comment

I can understand the renewed interest Boenninghaussen's work has generated at present: but what I cannot understand is the halo that is being created around it all of a sudden. As I see it, Boenninghaussen devised a simple, understandable method based on the organon for efficient case taking, analysis and solution. The whole theory can be understood in a day's study and reflection for a further week.

There are enough material already available which will help one master the method and to actually practice it. In the past year or so,with the prepared launch of Repertory Universale and Dimitriadis's work, there seems to be hectic discussion on the merits of the released versions ( not on the TPB or Boger's work). Am I right in seeing it as mere marketing ?

Correct me If i'm wrong.
            Venkat

Last edited by jonh; 18th November 2004, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Venkat:
              In the past year or so,with the prepared launch of Repertory Universale and Dimitriadis's work, there seems to be hectic discussion on the merits of the released versions ( not on the TPB or Boger's work). Am I right in seeing it as mere marketing ?
              Dear Venkat,
              One impression which I have gathered is that there is considerable fear in the Boenninghausan Camp that the "modern" homeopaths are losing sight of the basic principles of homeopathic case taking and analysis as endorsed by Hahnemann himself in the Organon. SO they seem pretty desperate to "save" "Hahnemannian homeopathy" while berating other homeoapths who do not strictly follow this method of analysis and even call them "pseudo-homeopaths".

I"m unaware of this connection with "Repertory Universale and Dimitriadis's work" though.
              dr. Leela
              Last edited by jonh; 18th November 2004, 07:09 PM.
              http://www.homeopathy2health.com

Comment

Originally posted by Julian
                Great (though dense) little book.
                Dimitriadis and Gypser seem to be the ones who know the method best.
                hmmmm considering the Banerji (sp?) discussion this simply got under my skin a little. Much of western science being based on mis-science by the assumption that he who publishes the most is the expert and knows the most therefore his thought pattern must be followed (as individual thinkers, homoeopaths should not simply become Lemmings but continue to think for themselves). Only your own knowledge and learning curve can confirm or disafirm someone elses knowledge and make it useful or useless. These two people may NOT be the ones who understand the method BEST but who HAVE written texts on it that confirm YOUR universal and much read knowledge curve. Thank you for your valued opinion.

Please pardon this blurt
                merrilee
                Last edited by jonh; 18th November 2004, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Merrillee,
                  Do you say this because you disagree that they know it "best"--do you have someone else in mind who you think knows it better? I'm curious what the thought was behind your objection?

Shannon
                  Last edited by jonh; 18th November 2004, 11:33 PM.

Comment

Re: Re: Boenninghausen's Books

Dear Leela,

I do not want to berate any method- each has its own advantages. For example, in an acute flare up, I take up my Boger's rep and find one rx that covers the intensity of the present suffering. After the storm subsides, I return to Kent/synthesis for the greater part of the case.

Blaming any system is dangerous. My concern was already reflected. Why all the sudden fuss ? Looks like preparations for the elections:-)

Venkat
                    Last edited by jonh; 19th November 2004, 09:01 AM.

Comment

Venkat:
                      I do not want to berate any method- each has its own advantages. For example, in an acute flare up, I take up my Boger's rep and find one rx that covers the intensity of the present suffering. After the storm subsides, I return to Kent/synthesis for the greater part of the case.
                      YEs, I would think this is often the best way to deal with a case clinically.

Sometimes, when the patient is already on constitutional/chronic treatment, then that chronic/consitutional remedy is indicated in the acute crisis as well. So modalities have to be checked every time.

Which elections would you be refering to? :)
                      leela
                      http://www.homeopathy2health.com

Comment

Boenninghausen Repertories

Dear Members

The thread got a bit sidetracked, so I want to bring it back to its original theme:
                        The Boenninghausen Repertories:

I want to group them into 3 groups starting with group one which contains Boenninghausen’s own publications excluding specific repertories for different diseases.

Systematisch alphabetisches repertorium der Antipsorischen Arzneimittel [SRA] 1831 second edition 1832 also containing the antisypilitics and antsycotics
                        [systematic alphabetic repertory of the antipsoric remedies ---]

Systematisch alphabetisches repertorium der Nichtpsorischen Mittel [SRN] 1835
                        [Systematic alphabetic repertory of the non psorics]

Therapeutisches Taschenbuch [TT] [1846] also published in English / French by Boenninghausen at the same time. [Therapeutic pocketbook]

Group 2 contains repertories compiled using Boe. repertories.

J.T.Kent: Repertorium of the homeopathic material medica
                        Even though kent did not earmark the inclusions from the above three sources they are easily identified by rubric comparison.

C. Hempel, Oakey, Laurey, T.F.Allen: These four gentlemen bootlegged the Therapeutic pocketbook and made a lot of mistakes in the rubric translations and as well in transcribing the rubric entries. In Hempel’s version which was one of the more accurate ones at the time 17 rubrics went missing completely. I am not too shure that I listed all, as the TT was very popular in America at the time. Even Kent was giving it the praise until he changed his mind which happened after the publication of his own repertory.

C.M.Boger: systematic repertory of the Antipsoric remedies 1904:
                        First English version of the original and accurate. Nowadays available from the Indian bookshop. The SRN was never published in English in book-form.

C.M. Boger: Boenninghausen’s Characteristics and repertory first edition 1905
                        This edition is a complete new translation and amalgamation of the above three repertories, containing also additions from Boenninghausen’s own copy of the TT which came via Carroll Dunham and Guernsey to Boger. Unfurtionally out of print since the first edition and nearly impossible to get a hold off.

Group 3 contains the more recent publications. Help me if I forget the one or the other publication as I am doing this of the top of my head.

C.M.Boger: Boenninghausen’s Characteristics and repertory second edition 1937
                        This edition was published after Boger’s death by Roy in Bombay. All the later editions are identical except of the count on the pages. We have serious doubts, if all these changes made in the book would have been authorised by Boger, as complete rubrics went missing and a lot of material not of Boenninghausen’s origin was included. By this the book has doubled in volume but has lost much of its accuracy and reliability. It’s available from the Indian bookshop.

Synthetic repertory 1987: As the title says, an amalgamation of repertories, the more important are Kent’s, Boger’s, Knerr’s

Synthesis, the complete repertory and Murphy’s come in the same line.
                        The Universal repertory re-enters the Boenninghausen’s repertories yet again, which is for the third time.

More direct descendants of the Originals are:

Gypser: Boenninghausen’s Therapeutisches Taschenbuch 2000
                        The reproduction of the text of the TT including also annotions they gained from an I-copy, which is supposed a copy of the dunham copy included in boger 1.
                        It is a bit of a fairy tale story, as this book was only available for a short time to the editorial team and now it’s kept in a secret place somewhere in England inaccessible for inspection , and neither Gypser nor Dimitriadis were forthcoming to make a photocopy available even on refund basis.

Dimtriadis: the Boenninghausen repertory
                        Misleading in its title it actually is the English counterpart of Gypsers publication. Initially it was a joint venture between the Gypser group and the Australian group, to republish a new version of the TT German English, but through personal differences the split happened. The rubrics are identical, but Dimitriadis re-arranged the rubric groupings in his edition completely.

There have been republications on small scale of the SRA/SRN in german, and I belief that the SRN is now even available in electronic format from Radar in German/English.

And if you don’t know what to buy, then the following might help:
                        Therapeutisches Taschenbuch
                        Boenninghausen
                        You can buy the reprint of the original from Lieth in Hamburg: www.liethpub.de
                        And I have a German- English index for it to use alongside that can be obtained from me.
                        Hans Weitbrecht
                        HOMEOPATH / IRELAND

Comment

Working...
                        X