X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alcoholism

Originally posted by Caroline
    Originally posted by Shannon
    have two family members who ended their alcoholism *solely* thru nutritional means; one has been "cured" (and I feel safe about the term in her case) for 30 years, the other for only two. And yes, both were indeed bona fide alcoholics.
    what did they do to change their nutrional status? What "elements" were missing?
    Hi Caroline,

One (the 30+ years ago one) is my mother. The thing that took away her craving was a product called LPP (Liquid Predigested Protein). She was already taking various other supplements and eating a very good diet, but was spiralling downward nonetheless. She started the LPP after diagnosing herself (medicine's Dark Age was even darker 30 years ago!) as hypoglycemic (with severe blood sugar swings) and from her reading believed that a predigested protein supplement might help. A week or so after beginning it, she simply *forgot* her pre-dinner martini, and a week or so later forgot again, and shortly after that decided to simply give it up (the martini, not the LPP!), she didn't "need" (or want) it any more. Being a kid at the time, I was not given all the gory details, but I know that she also stopped getting drunk at parties and became generally much easier to live with (whew...).

My brother used the program described in the book "Seven Weeks to Sobriety", and at www.healthrecovery.com. Questionnaires in the book help a person determine what their biochemical need is, that makes them vulnerable to alcohol (and I think much of it would apply to other addictions as well), and you can either build your own nutritional program from that, or order their packages. He started out with their supplements, tho now uses his own cobbled-together program (which seems to be working fine).

I think that anyone working with alcoholics (and no doubt other addicts) OWES it to themselves and their clients to read, understand, and test out the information in this book. IMO it's excellent!

Best,
    Shannon

The thing that took away her craving was a product called LPP (Liquid Predigested Protein).
    Hi Shannon,
    this is very interesting, thanks for sharing.
    Did you mom have to be guided through this or she was able to do this herself?
    Is this product available easily as in a health food shop?
    Does one have to be on it lifelong?
    d.r leela
    http://www.homeopathy2health.com

Comment

Quote:
      The thing that took away her craving was a product called LPP (Liquid Predigested Protein).

Hi Shannon,
      this is very interesting, thanks for sharing.
      Did you mom have to be guided through this or she was able to do this herself?
      Is this product available easily as in a health food shop?
      Does one have to be on it lifelong?
      d.r leela
      Hi Shannon,
      thanks for the details you sent. I hope my reply reached you.
      I'll get back as the questions come up.
      d.r leela
      http://www.homeopathy2health.com

Comment

Alcoholism

I am so glad to see a discussion regarding this disease as I have tried and tried to find alternative solutions as my brother is one and he hates AA. Currently he is sober but it is a fragile state and he is always in danger of relapse (He is willing, however, to try anything I find for him). I found during my research (and my job is as a University research assistant so I am reasonable adept) that despite the overwhelming tragedy of alcholism in this world, homeopathy has not much to offer in the way of help i.e. papers, studies, advice, research or literature in general. I found it was mentioned many times but there would be maybe one sentence, nothing with any substance and feel quite disappointed that such a horrible affliction remains almost mostly ignored by the homeopathic academic and professional community.
        The following homeopathic remedies are the pre-dominant ones I have discovered but I cannot find anything that gives me a correct potency, general guidlines as to what potency or if the MT should be used (many pieces of advice contradict eachother re: poytency which leaves me even more confused):
        Avena sat. MT or 1X
        Quercus 3X or 1X
        Sterculia MT (?)
        Strophanthus MT
        Angelica (Archangelica) MT
        Sulphuricum acid 3X (?)
        Syphilinum (as a nosode should it be a high potency?)

Looking forward to any additions to this thread and follow-up re: LPP...
        Fiona
        Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -
        I took the one less travelled by,
        and that has made all the difference.
        (Robert Frost 1874 – 1963)

Comment

Originally Posted by Shannon
          have two family members who ended their alcoholism *solely* thru nutritional means; one has been "cured" (and I feel safe about the term in her case) for 30 years, the other for only two. And yes, both were indeed bona fide alcoholics.
          Is it not right that change by nutritional means in relevant to constitutional cure eg; as ayurvedic three constitutional imbalances & cures? Change by nutritional means can mean change by these three constitutions.
          Homeopathic & Biochemic system existed because Drs.Hahnemann & Schuessler thought differently.
          Successful people don't do different things, they do things differently..Shiv Khera

Comment

Alcoholism

Originally posted by kayveeh
            Is it not right that change by nutritional means in relevant to constitutional cure eg; as ayurvedic three constitutional imbalances & cures? Change by nutritional means can mean change by these three constitutions.
            I'm not quite sure I understand what you are saying - could you please elaborate?

In relation to nutritional change, I am completely convinced that a sugar imbalance plays a big part. I have watched recovering alcoholics crave with almost the same determination anything sugary - bags of it. When my brother was in rehab my husband and I would visit him and take a huge grocery bag full of lollies, biscuits, chocolate etc which was way too much for him but made him very popular amongst the other people there as he would share it all! In hindsight, I realise it was probably not a good idea (I read "Sober and Staying That Way: the Missing Link in the Cure For Aloholism" by Susan Powter) which made good sense re: sugar and alcohol cravings.

With much appreciation,
            Fiona

Comment

RE: Re: Alcoholism [was: Quitting Smoking]

Fiona wrote:

I cannot find anything that gives me a correct potency,
              > general guidlines as to what potency or if the MT should be used (many
              > pieces of advice contradict eachother re: poytency which leaves me even
              > more confused):
              > Avena sat. MT or 1X
              > Quercus 3X or 1X
              > Sterculia MT (?)
              > Strophanthus MT
              > Angelica (Archangelica) MT
              > Sulphuricum acid 3X (?)
              > Syphilinum (as a nosode should it be a high potency?)
              >

Hi Fiona
              Here is some info from Dr. F Master

HOMOEOPATHIC REMEDIES:

TO OVERCOME ALCOHOL ADDICTION:
              · Quercus Gland Spiritus mother tincture, ten drops in two tablespoonfuls of
              water thrice daily for a few months, is a useful remedy to antidote the
              effects of alcohol and also helps to take away the craving for alcohol.
              · In cases of nervous collapse, sleeplessness, debility and sinking
              sensation with a craving for alcohol in chronic alcoholics, Avena Sativa
              mother tincture five drops in half a cupful of water thrice daily.
              · For people who crave for alcohol, where even water needs to be mixed with
              alcohol and then taken with extreme debility, relaxed feeling in the stomach
              and tremors, Sulphuric Acid mother tincture ten to fifteen drops thrice
              daily for a few weeks. This will help subdue the craving for liquor.
              · Angellica mother tincture, five drops in tablespoonfuls of water thrice
              daily produces disgust for liquor and is useful for dyspepsia and headaches
              of alcoholics.
              · Sulphur four pills should be taken in water, every morning for a week to
              decrease the desire for alcohol.
              · In cases where the desire abates and then again returns, take Nux Vomica
              30C, four pills thrice daily.
              · Cinchona Rubrum 3X, four pills thrice daily.

--------------------------------------------------

And from Parimal Banerji

Asarum Europum 30, taken once per day, has been used for "unconquerable
              longing for alcohol" - this symptom has been repeatedly verified by Hering
              but Banerji at time of writing had yet to get more confirmation.
              Other drugs are Syphil.30, Sulphuric acid 25% in alcohol have been used.

He also says that Sulphur and some other drugs have no action on the craving
              of alcohol, but they work on the ailments from chronic alcoholism and
              someone may only 'reform' temporarily, with Sulphur.

Best

Robyn

A not for profit yoga of immunity -- www.immunics.org
              <http://www.immunics.org>

Immunics - "the conscious, immediate, & intentional control of the
              physiological & psychological aspects of your immune system and the use of
              your control to do methodical immunological actions that effect cure" (Dr.
              Robert Casola)

--
              No virus found in this outgoing message.
              Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.
              Version: 7.0.300 / Virus Database: 265.8.7 - Release Date: 10/02/2005

Comment

Alcoholism

"Quercus Gland Spiritus mother tincture, ten drops in two tablespoonfuls of
                water thrice daily for a few months, is a useful remedy to antidote the
                effects of alcohol and also helps to take away the craving for alcohol."

This is a good piece of advice as anyone who has had contact with alcoholics will know that though they may not even feel like or want a drink the next morning, they have the shakes, heart palpitations, agitations etc that compel them to have another drink to ease these awful feelings...so the cycle goes on. All the literature I have read re: addictions emphasise the fact that the person will take the substance again, despite their will/desire to stop in order to ease/end the dreadful withdrawal symptoms. If I could find something that did that, as opposed to the orthodox Valium regime, it would be a miracle!
                To make it clear, are you saying that if my brother relapses one evening and wants a drink the next morning, that perhaps Quercus will help antidote the DT's and after-effects?
                I only have Quercus in a 1X - do you think that would do the trick just as well or do I definitely have to have the MT?
                He is living with me now and I can be up at anytime of the morning or night should the need arise. I have shown him this thread and he is very comfortable with what I am writing and the replies I am receiving.
                He says "I don't want to drink, I hate what drinking does to me, my family (he has lost his wife, children, business, home, car, everything) and to you Fi but you don't understand how awful the DT's are."
                And, I don't. I can only witness his distress and feel my helplessness.
                Its a horrible devastating disease that has virtually destroyed a beautiful brother and I willing to go to the 'ends of the earth' to try and find a cure.

I do, with help from Al Anon, know how to practice 'tough love' but surely there has to be something out there in alternaive remedies, especially homeopathy, that work wonders as it does for so many other diseases.

Comment

RE: treating alcoholism

There is a wonderful book called Depression Free, Naturally by Joan Mathews Larson (who got into the problem when her bipolar teenage son committed suicide, many years ago.) Her center treats alcoholics as well as depressives.

There is also Depression-free for Life by Gabriel Cousens, MD, which deals with using nutrition to treat depression and alcoholism.

Teresa

Comment

Here is some more on the treatment of alcoholism

>From Buko Levy - Homeopathic and drainage Repertory - from EH

Alcoholism
                    Alcohol abuse cannot be healed by homeopathy alone, special psychological care is also essential. However, the practitioner can help these difficult patients find a physical and mental balance. The drainage techniques, especially organotherapy and satellite remedies, are always necessary to support the injured organs (brain, liver, nerves, pancreas, and stomach).
                    General remedies
                    • one dose, every week, in the following order :
                    - young subject :
                    1st NUX VOMICA 9C
                    2nd SULFUR FLAVUM 9C
                    3rd NUX VOMICA 15 CH
                    4th LACHESIS 9C
                    - old subject :
                    1st NUX VOMICA 9C
                    2nd LACHESIS 9C
                    3rd ARGENTUM NITRICUM 9C
                    4th ARSENICUM ALBUM 9C
                    Complications
                    - stomach :
                    • 3 granules, daily :
                    morning : ASARUM 5C
                    evening : SULFURIC ACID 5C
                    - extreme loss of weight, cachexia :
                    • 3 granules, daily : CARBOLIC ACID 5C
                    - polyneuritis :
                    • alternate every other evening, 3 granules :
                    ARSENICUM ALBUM 5C, or PLUMBUM METAL 5C
                    - delirium :
                    • 20 drops, every 10 minutes : HYOSCYAMUS 3X
                    - coma :
                    • 3 granules, 1 to 6 times a day, as needed : OPIUM 4C
                    See : anger, aversion, bleeding, brain softening, delirium, depression, desire, dreams, dyspepsia, edema, fears, gastric ulcer, hemorrhoids, hepatic, hepatitis, insomnia, nervousness, trembling, vomiting, weeping.

and Fiona, the link below also has info on adjunct treatments that will assist in whatever else is undertaken

Best

Robyn

Comment

Alcoholism

Originally posted by Robyn
                      Here is some more on the treatment of alcoholism

>From Buko Levy - Homeopathic and drainage Repertory - from EH

Alcoholism
                      Alcohol abuse cannot be healed by homeopathy alone, special psychological care is also essential. However, the practitioner can help these difficult patients find a physical and mental balance. The drainage techniques, especially organotherapy and satellite remedies, are always necessary to support the injured organs (brain, liver, nerves, pancreas, and stomach).
                      General remedies
                      • one dose, every week, in the following order :
                      - young subject :
                      1st NUX VOMICA 9C
                      2nd SULFUR FLAVUM 9C
                      3rd NUX VOMICA 15 CH
                      4th LACHESIS 9C
                      - old subject :
                      1st NUX VOMICA 9C
                      2nd LACHESIS 9C
                      3rd ARGENTUM NITRICUM 9C
                      4th ARSENICUM ALBUM 9C
                      Complications
                      - stomach :
                      • 3 granules, daily :
                      morning : ASARUM 5C
                      evening : SULFURIC ACID 5C
                      - extreme loss of weight, cachexia :
                      • 3 granules, daily : CARBOLIC ACID 5C
                      - polyneuritis :
                      • alternate every other evening, 3 granules :
                      ARSENICUM ALBUM 5C, or PLUMBUM METAL 5C
                      - delirium :
                      • 20 drops, every 10 minutes : HYOSCYAMUS 3X
                      - coma :
                      • 3 granules, 1 to 6 times a day, as needed : OPIUM 4C
                      See : anger, aversion, bleeding, brain softening, delirium, depression, desire, dreams, dyspepsia, edema, fears, gastric ulcer, hemorrhoids, hepatic, hepatitis, insomnia, nervousness, trembling, vomiting, weeping.

and Fiona, the link below also has info on adjunct treatments that will assist in whatever else is undertaken

Best

Robyn
                      Um, Robyn, I can't see the "link below" you mentioned...
                      Also, what exacerbates and hastens his deterioration when he relapses is that he stops eating. This I know to be common in alcoholism which certainly doesn't help their nutritional needs.
                      I will try your regime, and thankyou so much for the info, but wonder if I can add the Asarum as mentioned above also?

Comment

Alcoholism

Just looked up Asarum and discovered 'want of appetite.'

Comment

Originally posted by Fiona
                          "Quercus Gland Spiritus mother tincture, ten drops in two tablespoonfuls of water thrice daily for a few months, is a useful remedy to antidote the effects of alcohol and also helps to take away the craving for alcohol."
                          Originally posted by Fiona
                          snip...............

I only have Quercus in a 1X - do you think that would do the trick just as well or do I definitely have to have the MT?
                          According to the HPUS, the tincture is a 1X, so you can use what you have.

Also, you expressed an interest in the site below - take your brother there and get him to learn how to help himself remove the addiction and associated problems whilst he is doing the homoeopathic treatment.

Best

Robyn

A not for profit yoga of immunity -- www.immunics.org
                          <http://www.immunics.org>

Immunics - "the conscious, immediate, & intentional control of the
                          physiological & psychological aspects of your immune system and the use of
                          your control to do methodical immunological actions that effect cure" (Dr.
                          Robert Casola)

Comment

Originally posted by Braveheart
                            Just looked up Asarum and discovered 'want of appetite.'

Just found in Boericke: Sterculia - "the remedy for the drinking habit...it promotes the appetite and digestion...lessens the craving for liquor." Plus did some research on Asarum and it’s looking like a pretty good bet. Then there's Robyns regime (Nux, Lachesis, Arg nit., Ars alb.), the LPP and Quercus, Avena, Sulph Acid, Sulphur and Cinchona rub. and so on...

Now I really am getting confused...

Despite all the wonderful advice and compassion from everyone, is it understandable why I get so stressed over it, as I simply don't know where to begin and which one/s is/are the best?

As I said previously, many, many substance abusers continue to take the substance simply in order to avoid the awful withdrawal symptoms so I think I'll save using the Quercus if that happens as it specifies "antidoting properties."

Dr Leela, you may remember that I joked with Wim once about proving whether Quercus antidotes the effects of alcohol by drinking too much champagne at my sons wedding and taking a dose the next morning? It didn't happen (I was a 'designated driver' so drank nothing) but it would be interesting to find out if it works! Lets face it, a lot of us at some stage in our life have a 'tad' too much to drink and would love to have a brilliant hangover remedy at our fingertips - heck, I'd be very popular with some friends/family/co-workers!!!

I do have a funny/sad story re: alcoholism. My husband’s mother was a life-long alcoholic and smoker. In her 70's she had a stroke and has been in a nursing home ever since. That’s the sad bit. The funny bit is that after the stroke, she FORGOT she drank and smoked and hasn't touched either of them for 7 years!

Fiona

Comment

> Just looked up Asarum and discovered 'want of appetite.'
                              >
                              >

***yes, and here is some more info

firstly, the rubrics relating to Asarum and alcohol and then some info from
                              Vithoulkas

GENERALS - FAMILY HISTORY of - alcoholism
                              GENERALS - FOOD and DRINKS - alcoholic drinks - agg.
                              GENERALS - FOOD and DRINKS - alcoholic drinks - agg. - hangover; excessive
                              GENERALS - FOOD and DRINKS - alcoholic drinks - desire
                              MIND - AILMENTS FROM - alcoholism
                              MIND - AILMENTS FROM - alcoholism - abstinence of alcohol
                              MIND - ALCOHOLISM
                              MIND - ALCOHOLISM - withdrawal from; to support the
                              STOMACH - ANXIETY - morning - waking; on - alcoholics; in
                              - Desire: Alcohol, nuts (Cub.), milk.

Fiona, just a suggestion, but maybe just use one rem at a time, so you can
                              see the effects.
                              You may want to add a herbal support for nutrition and appetite such as
                              Alfalfa, 15 drops 2-3 times daily. This should not interfere with the Hom
                              treatment.

Banerji has done alot of research on potency, and even though others may
                              discount specific potency action as being plausible, I still offer it based
                              on my own experience and those of others who have utilised his advised
                              potency selection.

So, if using Asarum Europ. I would go for the 30, as mentioned in a previous
                              post, taken once per day

----------------------------------
                              Lilienthall
                              Horrible sensation at the epigastrium when drunkards awake in the morning;
                              unconquerable longing for alcohol; loathing of food without any gastric
                              derangement; frequent empty or putrid eructations; laziness and sensation as
                              if he lost his head.
                              ----------------------------------------------
                              Vithoulkas

Asarum appears to be primarily an hysterical remedy. The state of Asarum
                              arises for varied reasons, the two most common being alcoholism and mental
                              overexertion. There are in Asarum, as in other remedies, different stages of
                              development of pathology -- different levels of physical and mental
                              disturbances. One level of disturbance can be quite mild, but the very same
                              remedy can also have a very severe level of disturbance. What follows are
                              descriptions of the different levels of pathology to which Asarum
                              corresponds most frequently.
                              That which has been described so far corresponds to the intermediate stage
                              of development of Asarum. There is a preceding state in which Asarum
                              patients suffer from a type of hysterical vertigo or dizziness. Such
                              patients will experience an unexplainable, severe vertigo from turning their
                              head just a little bit, with just the least violent movement. Vertigo occurs
                              when rising from a chair, with the initial motion. Vertigo can also occur
                              while walking and if these patients attempt to run. In these vertiginous
                              states they prefer to sit down and do nothing. One will see these states in
                              alcoholics who try to stop drinking, who are suffering from the effects of
                              alcohol withdrawal. They may not reach this state while they continue to
                              drink. In this state they become depressed. They do not want to do anything.
                              They simply sit and do nothing, and with the least movement they experience
                              a type of dizziness. Accompanying this state is a chilliness typically
                              described as chills going through the body -- intense chills. Asarum has
                              thrills -- chills and thrills, especially when something is scratched. They
                              will shiver with the sound. Now envision that state of dizziness,
                              depression, indifference and confusion of mind -- sitting and doing nothing,
                              and then a state of nervous laughing. They cannot control themselves any
                              longer. Initially one may not see the great sensitivity to noise, but
                              eventually, as the Asarum state develops, the nervous system becomes
                              tremendously sensitive such that any noise becomes intolerable. Thrills
                              come; chills become thrills with the noise. Then the previously described
                              state of mental deterioration supervenes.
                              I believe that such disturbances as those resembling the Asarum state have
                              been wrought by our civilization. We push ourselves and our children to
                              attain success and intellectual superiority, and eventually we pay the
                              price. An Asarum child pushes himself too much, and then the Asarum state
                              occurs. Alcoholics, too, are sensitive people that have many problems; they
                              need a barrier to minimize their pain in life, and so they drink. When they
                              make the effort to stop drinking, the Asarum state surfaces. The dependence
                              on and abuse of psychotropic drugs might also produce an Asarum withdrawal
                              state. A lot of the sensitive, almost hysterical youth of today with
                              intellectual capacities far beyond their age and degenerated physical bodies
                              lacking normal youthful vigor are fit subjects for Asarum.
                              Desire for alcoholic drinks. Unconquerable longing for alcohol. Another
                              desire that I have noted in Asarum is for nuts of all kinds -- almonds,
                              cashews, peanuts, etc. They also have quite a strong desire for milk, and
                              milk ameliorates the pains in the stomach considerably. At times one will
                              see an aversion to onions, garlic, fish and fat.
                              Anorexia nervosa. Alcoholism. Nervous breakdown from overexertion.
                              Paralytic weakness of lower legs with severe vertigo. Multiple sclerosis.
                              Myalgic encephalomyelitis. Alcoholic polyneuritis. Hysteria.
                              Inimical to it: Alcoholic stimulants, warm food.
                              --
                              No virus found in this outgoing message.
                              Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.
                              Version: 7.0.300 / Virus Database: 265.8.7 - Release Date: 10/02/2005

Comment

Working...
                              X