dog refusing homeopathic remedy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dog refusing homeopathic remedy

Dog did not want remedy in his mouth. I thus put it in water bowl--and now he will not drink from the bowl. I have put arnica in this dogs water bowl in past and he has not refused that. I am not sure what to think. Maybe he knows he should not have the remedy (stramonium).

Has anyone had an experience like this?

dog refusing etc.

Maybe your dog is a very clever dog and knows you`re not a vet. hom. and therefore can`t give a remedy such as Stramonium just like that !!!

Wim

Comment

He's very smart--if he had thumbs he'd be driving the car.

He refuses to be examined by vets, unless essentially straitjacketed--and even then it is a battle royale. This started with rabies shot visit. Before that he had had two vet exams which he did not mind--or at least not much.

Hence the stramonium idea. But I guess he has vetoed that.

Any ideas other than stramonium?

in case you might with more info here is some about him:

He had bilateral entropion surgically repaired, but still (or again) has tears pour from eyes when he tips his head forward and down. The entropion did not seem evident in first place until the rabies shot, and seemed to again be a problem after the one year, required by law, revaccination. Could just have been chance coincidence and not any causation involved. The behavioural change could also have been chance coincidence, not causation. But seems suspicious coincidence. He did not--since I have had him--have any other vaccinations.

Generally a dignified gentleman of a dog, but can get furiously excited and does literally froth at the mouth when angry.

He has an easily upset stomach. He thinks raw liver, or any liver, is poisonous. He is suspicious of raw foods, but has gradually come to accept a few raw meals each week. He is chemically sensitive and does not like vehicle exhaust (smart boy). Does not like various chemical odors (which may add to problems with vets).

He likes to be up high--like on top of doghouse--where he can look down on everyone else.

He tends to be very hot. Likes snow. Likes wading in cold creeks.

He is very alert to anything changed from the usual in his life--especially visually. He is afraid of people dressed up in strange costumes like Chinese New Year Dragons. (But more often is a curious or suspicious type dog, not a fearful one.)

He seems to be claustrophobic. He does not like to be under things or in corners and in addition to not liking strangers to touch him also does not like walls or objects to touch him.

He is calm about loud noise like the house being reroofed. But barks at thunder.

If he feels attacked he will fight back--even if it is with a wasp, skunk, porcupine or bramble patch.

He is surprisingly good about being given baths and having his teeth cleaned-- but hates having his nails trimmed.

He has separation anxiety and abandonment fears, improved with lots of desensitization work, but still not perfect.

Comment

Dog

Hi Brio,
        sounds like a smart dog alright, the only one in my book "refuses to take medicine, very suspicious" Hyoscyamus.
        Read up on this remedy.
        regards

Comment

Or maybe Lachesis?

Comment

Lachesis takes in the cardinal symptom of dislike of being touched by strangers (or in fact being touched by much at all, as with patients who don't like bedclothes to touch them), and also tendency to be irritable if startled awake. and possibly that sense of a quiet calm being like a snake, but who can suddenly be provoked into violence.

Hyosycamus has many points that fit, but seems to be lacking that key point of aggravation by touch. I think despite certain matches on strange and unusual symptoms, like the suspicion of being poisoned, that Lachesis is probably better match. My sense of Hyosycamus was more of a dog that might get unprovokedly angry, rather than a dog with a don't tread on me attitude, but not sure if I read this right.

As I tried again to look at these 2 suggestions and to repertorize him in general (repertories intended for humans), the best fit still seems to be Stramonium, which seems pretty spot on in the Mind and generalities section as well as a good fit for Never Been Well Since.

Second best could be Sulphur?
            ...though sulphur has so many rubrics under it that it almost always fits nearly everything it seems...
            but it does have:
            generalities: aggravation by touch,
            after vaccination,
            warmth
            Mind: changeable, can be cheerful, but also can be angry
            and both the dislike of company and dislike of being alone
            and even eyelids turned inward and tearing.
            It lacks foaming mouth however (except for along with convulsions which he does not have).

Comment

I went to a site where I could do a computer search of online (human oriented) repertory.

That came up with Lycopodium as top match. .

Surprisingly Arnica also scored pretty high due to touch sensitivity and other factors. He has been willing to take Arnica for injuries. If I give him credit for somehow knowing what he should or should not take, maybe that is what I should go with. And if the various problems are all due to some sort of inflammation , maybe it would help. (Or maybe he's even smarter than I realize and has been following the threads on Arnica as miracle remedy as he sits beside me while I read posts here.)

Comment

GENERALITIES; ASCENDING (High places); amel. (SII-38): allox., am-m., arg., bar-c., bell., bry., canth., coff., con., ferr., lyc., meny., nit-ac., plb., prot., rhod., rhus-t., ruta, sabin., stann., sulph., syph., valer., verb.

MIND; FEAR; narrow place, in, claustrophobia (K46, SI-513, G37) (airplanes - crowd - elevators - room - suffocation - toilet - trains - tunnels) (GENERALITIES; Faintness; closed room - crowded): absin., acon., ambr., aran., aran-s., arg-n., ars., bry., calc., carb-an., carc., caust., chin-ar., cimic., cocc., dulc., dys-co., ign., kali-ar., kali-c., lac-d., lach., Lyc., lyss., manc., med., merc-i-f., morg., morg-g., nat-m., nat-s., nux-v., plb., psor., Puls., ruta, sep., staph., stram., succ., sulph., tab., til., valer.

GENERALITIES; BATHING, washing; amel.; cold (K1346, SII-41, G1111): aesc., agar., aloe, alum., ambr., Apis, arg-n., arn., asar., aster., aur., aur-m., bell-p., berb-a., bism., bry., bufo, calc-f., calc-s., camph., cann-i., cann-s., caust., coc-c., cupr., fago., fl-ac., hed., hyper., ind., iod., led., mag-s., meph., nat-m., phos., phyt., pic-ac., psor., puls., rat., sec., sep., spig., sulph., syph., vesp.

MIND; TOUCHED; aversion of being (K89, SI-1028, G71) (Caressed; aversion to being) (Disturbed; averse to being) (Frightened easily; touch, from) (Sensitive, oversensitive; touch, to) (Shrieking; children; touched, when) (GENERALITIES; Touch; agg.): acet-ac., acon., agar., Ant-c., ant-t., Arn., ars., asar., bell., bry., bufo, calc., calc-p., camph., cand-a., canth., carc., caust., Cham., chin., cimic., cina, cocc., coff., colch., con., cupr., gels., graph., hell., hep., hydrog., ign., iod., Kali-c., kali-fcy., kali-i., lach., lyc., mag-c., mag-m., med., merc., mez., nat-m., nit-ac., nux-m., nux-v., ozone, phos., plb., sanic., sep., sil., solin., stram., sulph., Tarent., thuj., tub., verat., vip., zinc.

Sulphur and Bryonia both of which are complimentary to each other.
                You could consider a salt of Sulphur if you like to address something characteristic that doe not fit in with SUlph by itself..

the hot thermals would no fit in with Lyco.

Hope this helps!
                http://www.homeopathy2health.com

Comment

What are the reasons for the separation anxiety?
                  Since Sulph does not cover that clearly, unless this can be explained. Its possibly that he may need 2 remedies, one to overcome the Separation fears, followed by the Sulphur.
                  Separation remedies with entropion: Natrum, Puls, MErc

Comment

Originally posted by doctorleela
                    What are the reasons for the separation anxiety?
                    Since Sulph does not cover that clearly, unless this can be explained. Its possibly that he may need 2 remedies, one to overcome the Separation fears, followed by the Sulphur.
                    Separation remedies with entropion: Natrum, Puls, MErc
                    Thank you. This is helping a lot.

When you mentioned Bryonia along with Suphur were you thinking first one and then the other? And if so, which first?

His Sep Anxiety:
                    I am not his original owner/guardian so I can only guess at the origins. He was presumably abandoned. Then he was taken in off the streets by a family. As he was starting to settle in with the people who found him, they left him off with me, which he clearly experienced as a traumatic abandonment, screaming and throwing himself at the gate when they drove away. Then within about 4 hours he became intensely attached to me.

On surface it would seem to be a fear of abandonment, but there is a way that Sulph *might* fit this--or at least the way I was interpreting it seemed to me to do so: One MM I looked at had "anxiety for others"... and in some ways I think his separation anxiety fits that. That it may be more about his feeling that he needs to care for and be with his pack than that he is afraid for himself. A book I like that has helped me with him a lot called The Dog Listener by Jan Fennell says that most Sep. Anx. is a result of the dog being worried about the people. (Dog seeing itself as head of pack, or shepherd over flock, and is beside itself with upset when the pack or flock has strayed... )

Another canine-centric view interpretation is that he thinks he should be part of going out on a "hunt", not the dog that stays to watch the den, and that could also fit a bit with Sulphur as some rubrics seemed related to oversized sense of self-importance. Anyway, I think it might fit enough to try Sulphur as the first prescription with even the Sep Anx as part of its simillimum.

Also he has gotten some summer fleas now while other dog has none, which also seems to suggest possible Sulphur.

Comment

I'd think then that KAli Sulph fits best as the Sulphur salt to cover the Separation anxiety. IT would have a don't mess with me attitude and would be very upset on being separated from any dependant relationship.
                      Kali Sulph is complementary to Pulsatilla - physicals as well as mentals. If you are aware of the sympotms opf the entropion, you could check the discharges and infallmation detials and see whether they fit with Kali Sulph or Puls.

Comment

remedy administration

Originally posted by Brio
                        Dog did not want remedy in his mouth. I thus put it in water bowl--and now he will not drink from the bowl.
                        Hi Brio-

I'm jumping in a little late, but... Most of my patients are given their remedies via syringe (I use LMs and medicinal solutions >99% of the time). This method is easy and ensures that he will get the dose.

You don't even have to open his mouth. Just slide the tip of the syringe between his lips and squirt it in.

In addition I definitely agree with one of your message replies which advises you to work with a professional homeopath when dealing with rabies miasm remedies like Stramonium.

The AVH maintains one list. I also love the Classical Homeopathy For Pets (CHP) e-mail list if you really want to delve deeply into advanced Hahnemannian homeopathy. They also maintain a list of eminently qualified vet homeopaths (some of whom may not be on the other list).

Good luck.
                        Dr. Jeff Feinman, CVH
                        Certified Veterinary Homeopath
                        HomeVet® Natural Pet Care

Comment

dog refusing homeopathic remedy

Brio -I absolutely agree with Dr. Jeff... And would add that olfaction works wonderfully well too, particularly with animals (and children, where you can make it part of the "Smell This" game!). I myself have had several occasions in my feral cat/dog rescue where I have used a long-handled ladle to wave the medicinal solution/one dry pillule under the animal's nose (particularly, in instances where I either couldn't or WOULDN'T get near enough to dose - the animal was too crazed...) and have seen them "take it" and respond immediately! Have seen this work well with sleeping/unconscious creatures. One of my cat rescues (a young momcat) somehow fell down inside the wall from the attic of an old abandoned house, ending up at ground floor level. She appeared unresponsive, so in this instance, I lowered the remedy/dry in a tea bag, dangling it in front of her nose, and she roused to the point where she crawled up a whole floor (!) toward me and I could then gently pull her to safety and back to her kits...after brushing the cobwebs of ages off of her first <G>! HTH, Judith Mateo

Comment

DoctorLeela: Thanks for the continuing ideas and support. I'll take a look at Kali Sulph later. Puls doesn't fit him well at all as a dog in general, but I'll look at it thinking just of the entropion and eye discharge. Someone told me I should have tried Borax homeo before ever trying the surg. in first place, but not sure if it fits now.

Dr. Jeff;
                            Thanks for the ideas, I signed up for the Yahoo site and looked on the AVH as well as your own website. I wish you were local! Ironically I am relatively near to Richard Pitcairn, but every time I call he is gone teaching, on sabatical, not taking new patients, etc. Maybe he is basically retired.

RP's office gave me a number for a person in the area, but, hard to explain, she did not seem right. Other than that I guess there would be the possibility of phone consults long distance, in which case I guess the homeopathic vet might as well be anywhere. But I am at a loss as to how to find someone good long distance. That is, I know how I can find a homeopathic vet via lists, but not how to determine long distance if it is someone who really knows enough to help. I think in re the Stram that I was slightly concerned about giving it to him, and did not want to force it on him if he seemed disinclined. In the course of "declining it" he may well have gotten an olfactory dose--so perhaps I should observe him over next few weeks for any signs of change.

Needless to say, I am concerned that next time he has to have the law required rabies shot he will get worse again. I don't feel that in my circumstances I can violate the legal requirement--but I sure wish the law would change to once only being required, and some way to test if "rescues" have recently already had one so as not to overload them.

homeopathically, I think the number one best option might be the exact vaccine (with the thimerasol and everything) diluted and succussed out to homeopathic potency. (tho I guess maybe that is Isopathy technically speaking.) Do you know of any such treatment tried and if so if it has any success?

Judith: Thanks for the reply, and that is a great story about the cat! Also a good thing to think about and remember in case of unconsiousness!

Comment

phone consults etc.

I am at a loss as to how to find someone good long distance. That is, I know how I can find a homeopathic vet via lists, but not how to determine long distance if it is someone who really knows enough to help.
                              I can certainly understand your trepidation. My best advice is to call and speak with the vet homeopath in question. Just like your experience with the local person, you may (or may not) resonate with that individual (whether they know their stuff or not).

In the course of "declining it" he may well have gotten an olfactory dose--so perhaps I should observe him over next few weeks for any signs of change.
                              Absolutely correct!

homeopathically, I think the number one best option might be the exact vaccine (with the thimerasol and everything) diluted and succussed out to homeopathic potency. (tho I guess maybe that is Isopathy technically speaking.)
                              Actually this wouldn't be homeopathy at all. A potentized vaccine is tautopathic and probably would have no similarity to the underlying disease. The best strategy is to achieve optimal health through constitutional treatment. Only then should any vaccine ever be administered.

Good luck.
                              Dr. Jeff Feinman, CVH
                              Certified Veterinary Homeopath
                              HomeVet® Natural Pet Care

Comment

Working...
                              X