Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which is more scientific: Allopathy or Homeopathy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Archives of Otolaryngology- head & Neck Surgery (American Medical Association)
    Homeopathic Vs conventional treatment of vertigo (1998)
    http://drnancymalik.wordpress.com/

Comment

• You are back to spamming links. Sorry, Nancy, but I'm not playing that game.

Hans
      You have a right to your own opinion, but not to your own facts.

Comment

• These are research papers from international journals. Do you dare to answer them?

Arzneimittel-Forschung (German) meaning Medicines Research (English)
        Treatment of vertigo with a homeopathic remedies (2005)

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. Nancy Malik View Post
          These are research papers from international journals. Do you dare to answer them?

Arzneimittel-Forschung (German) meaning Medicines Research (English)
          Treatment of vertigo with a homeopathic remedies (2005)
          Of course I do. Why? Will you bother to answer, or will you just spam something else?

This report is a meta-analysis of four trials, where the remedy Vertigoheel was compared to other drugs for efficacy against vertigo. Two of the trials were non-blinded, observational trials, the other two were double-blind.

The control medicines were:

Betahistine. This drug was registered in 1970 and is used for cases of Ménière's disease. This disease is characterized by vertigo attacks. There is no indication that it works against other types of vertigo.

Ginkgo biloba extract. This is a 'natural' drug, proven to improve memory in elderly people. There are no official claims that it should work for vertigo.

Dimenhydrinate. This is an over-the-counter drug used to prevent nausea and motion sickness. There is no indication that it works for vertigo as such.

The remedy was:

Vertigoheel. Ingredients: Lactose (300 mg), Conium Maculatum (3 X) (30 mg), Cocculus Indicus (4 X) (210 mg), Ambra Grisea (6 X) (30 mg), Petroleum (8 X) (30 mg).

The trials involved a total of 1388 patients. There is no mention of the type of vertigo suffered, so it must be assumed that patients suffered from a number of different diseases causing vertigo.

The result of the metanalysis is that Vertigoheel was not inferior to the other drugs.

What does this mean for homeopathy in general? Well, a number of things should be noted.

1) Vertigoheel contains four different ingredients in potencies from 3x to 8x (see above). I will leave it to the homeopaths to discuss whether a mixed remedy applied to some 700 patients on one generalized sypmtom (vertigo) is homeopathy or not. However, the remedy contains substances in medical quantities, so the trial does not exclude a mundane biochemical (='allopathic') mode of action.

2) The only control drug that is officially indicated against some sort of vertigo is Betahistine. This drug is for a special type of disease, and there is no indication of the number of patients in the trial that actually suffered from this particular disease.

3) The two other drugs are not indicated in any way for vertigo, so there is no evidence that they work above placebo.

4) Two of the trials were non-blinded. Since vertigo is a very subjective and variable symptom, they are of very little value, and should, IMHO, not be included in a serious report.

Conclusion:

Since most of the controls did not receive a drug validated for the complaint in question, there is no evidence that the control drugs worked any better than placebo. In consequence, the meta trial gives no evidence that Vertigoheel is superior to placebo.

As Vertigoheel contains significant amounts of chemically active ingredients, any positive results from the remedy cannot be taken as evidence for any effect of high-potency (trans-avogadro) remedies.

Hans

Comment

• Conium Maculatum (3 X) , Cocculus Indicus (4 X) , Ambra Grisea (6 X) , Petroleum (8 X) .

The above homeopathic medicines are prepared bvy potentisation process in decimal scale X.

And they have been proven to cure vertigo. The research paper has clearly demonstrated that.

Comment

• Asian Journal of HomeopathyTo investigate the effectiveness of homeopathy in medical primary care in upper and lower respiratory tract complaints, 01 Feb 2008, pp. 3-19

Comment

Conium Maculatum (3 X) , Cocculus Indicus (4 X) , Ambra Grisea (6 X) , Petroleum (8 X) .

The above homeopathic medicines are prepared bvy potentisation process in decimal scale X.

And they have been proven to cure vertigo. The research paper has clearly demonstrated that.
                As I explained: No it did not quite demonstrate that. And it did certainly not demonstrate that the effect, if any, was due to homeopathic action.

Hans

Comment

Asian Journal of HomeopathyTo investigate the effectiveness of homeopathy in medical primary care in upper and lower respiratory tract complaints, 01 Feb 2008, pp. 3-19
                  Ahh, no. That is not how we are playing, Nancy. I read and commented the report you linked. Now its your turn:

Walach, Köster, Henning and Haag: The effects of homeopathic belladonna 30CH in healthy volunteers -- a randomized, double-blind experiment, J Psychosom Res. 2001 Mar;50(3):155-60 http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11327520

Please read and comment.

Hans

Comment

• Originally posted by MRC_Hans View Post
                    Ahh, no. That is not how we are playing, Nancy. I read and commented the report you linked. Now its your turn:

Walach, Köster, Henning and Haag: The effects of homeopathic belladonna 30CH in healthy volunteers -- a randomized, double-blind experiment, J Psychosom Res. 2001 Mar;50(3):155-60 Can homeopathically prepared mercury cause symptom... [J Altern Complement Med. 2001] - PubMed result

Please read and comment.

Hans
                    Ya mercury 12C produces no significant symptoms in health volunters.

The same journal has a research on homeopathic medicines for chronic fatigue syndrome
                    Journal of Psychosomatic Research (Pergamon)
                    Efficacy of homeopathic treatment for chronic fatigue syndrome (2004)

Comment

• [QUOTE=Dr. Nancy Malik;86723]Ya mercury 12C produces no significant symptoms in health volunters.

Boericke would disagree: MERCURIUS SOLUBILIS - HOMOEOPATHIC MATERIA MEDICA - By William BOERICKE

I'm sorry, Nancy, but you are apparantly not interested in discussing this.

Bye.

Hans

Comment

Quite frankly, Gina, I'm tired of your spamming threads with quotations trying to make conventional medicine look bad. All I ever see you do is post quites and links; don't you have anything of your own to say?

We might discuss the vices of the medical business (god knows there are plenty), but that is not the subject of this thread, nor is it the subject of most of the other threads you spam.

If I thought the administrators of these forums gave a damn, I would report you, but instead, I'll just ignore your posts. If you should ever have something to say, of your own, and on topic, I'll read it.

Hans
                        Hans, we are just as tired of you, with your unfounded defense of conventional medicine.

Latest issue of JAM and BMJ both declare allopathic medicine to be crappy stuff and RCT's not trustworthy because the placebo is chosen to make the meds look better. There is but 8% disclosure what goes in the placebo and therefore the BMJ has declared all RCts untrustworthy.
                        Do not accept or reject anything before you have investigated it and that on its own merits.

Comment

• My mom was diagnosed with Stage IIIB AND Stage I adenocarcinoma last week... The Stage I cancer is in the other lung - so she may really have Stage IV if it metastasized to the other lung .... She turned 76 on Tuesday - what a miserable birthday present. She started chemo Thursday - Taxol/Carboplatin/Avastin... We have no idea what to expect, but do know that 60% of lung cancer patients will die within the 1st year. Last week I couldn't stop crying (because I spent the week with her, going to the dr. and hearing all the bad news). This week I'm back home again and less tearful. I want to spend as much time as I can with her now.. and have my kids spend time with her too.

I also liked this blog very much where the breast cancer treatment & metastatic breast cancer options were discussed. Hope it helps people struggling with breast cancer.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kaviraj View Post
                            Hans, we are just as tired of you, with your unfounded defense of conventional medicine.

Latest issue of JAM and BMJ both declare allopathic medicine to be crappy stuff and RCT's not trustworthy because the placebo is chosen to make the meds look better. There is but 8% disclosure what goes in the placebo and therefore the BMJ has declared all RCts untrustworthy.
                            Actually, I'm not here to defend conventional meds. I'm here to question homeopathy. You know, any attacks on testing methods fall back double on homeopathy.

What I'm tired of and what I said to Gina, long ago, is that I'm tired of all the times discussions about HOMEOPATHY are derailed by irrelevant attacks on conventional meds. Whatever the vices of conventional meds, that does not vindicate homeopathy in any way.

Hans

Comment

• Originally posted by herrybrown View Post
                              My mom was diagnosed with Stage IIIB AND Stage I adenocarcinoma last week... The Stage I cancer is in the other lung - so she may really have Stage IV if it metastasized to the other lung .... She turned 76 on Tuesday - what a miserable birthday present. She started chemo Thursday - Taxol/Carboplatin/Avastin... We have no idea what to expect, but do know that 60% of lung cancer patients will die within the 1st year. Last week I couldn't stop crying (because I spent the week with her, going to the dr. and hearing all the bad news). This week I'm back home again and less tearful. I want to spend as much time as I can with her now.. and have my kids spend time with her too.

I also liked this blog very much where the breast cancer treatment & metastatic breast cancer options were discussed. Hope it helps people struggling with breast cancer.
                              I'm sorry to hear about your sad situation. This is always hard. I hope the best for you and your family.

However, your post has nothing to do with this thread.

Hans

Comment

Actually, I'm not here to defend conventional meds. I'm here to question homeopathy. You know, any attacks on testing methods fall back double on homeopathy.

What I'm tired of and what I said to Gina, long ago, is that I'm tired of all the times discussions about HOMEOPATHY are derailed by irrelevant attacks on conventional meds. Whatever the vices of conventional meds, that does not vindicate homeopathy in any way.

Hans

Ok Hans, here is a nice list of tests done on plants that make all your arguments about placebo moot.

Effects of Homeopathic Arsenicum Album, Nosode, and Gibberellic Acid Preparations on the Growth Rate of Arsenic-Impaired Duckweed (Lemna gibba L.). Jäger T, Scherr C, Simon M, Heusser P, Baumgartner S. ScientificWorldJournal. 2010 Nov 4;10:2112-29.
                                Homeopathic Symphytum officinale increases removal torque and radiographic bone density around titanium implants in rats. Spin-Neto R, Belluci MM, Sakakura CE, Scaf G, Pepato MT, Marcantonio E Jr. UNESP – Univ Estadual Paulista, Araraquara Dental School, Department of Periodontology, Araraquara, São Paulo, Brazil. Homeopathy. 2010 Oct;99(4):249-54.
                                The Efficacy of Ultramolecular Aqueous Dilutions on a Wheat Germination Model as a Function of Heat and Aging-Time. Brizzi M, Elia V, Trebbi G, Nani D, Peruzzi M, Betti L. Dipartimento di Scienze e Tecnologie Agroambientali, Viale Fanin 42, 40127 Bologna, Italy. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2009 Dec 22.
                                Homeopathic preparations to control the rosy apple aphid (Dysaphis plantaginea Pass.). Wyss E, Tamm L, Siebenwirth J, Baumgartner S. Research Institute of Organic Agriculture FiBL, Frick, Switzerland. ScientificWorldJournal. 2010 Jan 8;10:38-48.
                                Use of homeopathic preparations in experimental studies with healthy plants. Majewsky V, Arlt S, Shah D, Scherr C, Jäger T, Betti L, Trebbi G, Bonamin L, Klocke P, Baumgartner S. Research Institute of Organic Agriculture FiBL, Frick, Switzerland. Homeopathy. 2009 Oct;98(4):228-43.
                                Use of homeopathic preparations in phytopathological models and in field trials: a critical review. Betti L, Trebbi G, Majewsky V, Scherr C, Shah-Rossi D, Jäger T, Baumgartner S. Department of Agri-Environmental Sciences and Technologies, University of Bologna, Italy. Homeopathy. 2009 Oct;98(4):244-66.
                                In 1941 and 1942, William Ernest Boyd was the first person to definitively demonstrate that a homeopathic remedy at 30c dilution, mercury chloride, had a statisically significant effect upon diastase activity during the germination of plants. This research was published in The British Journal of Homeopathy in 1954, and it is the basis of all research into homeopathy using plants.
                                Isopathic treatment effects of Arsenicum album 45x on wheat seedling growth. Lahnstein L, Binder M, Thurneysen A, Frei-Erb M, Betti L, Peruzzi M, Heusser P, Baumgartner S. Institute of Complementary Medicine KIKOM, University of Bern, Switzerland. Homeopathy. 2009 Oct;98(4):198-207.
                                Influence of very low doses of mediators on fungal laccase activity – nonlinearity beyond imagination. Malarczyk E, Kochmanska-Rdest J, Jarosz-Wilkolazka A. Biochemistry Department, Maria Curie-Skłodowska University, Lublin, Poland. Nonlinear Biomed Phys. 2009 Sep 4;3(1):10. Read the whole report here.

Homeopathic treatment of Arabidopsis thaliana plants infected with Pseudomonas syringae. Shah-Rossi D, Heusser P, Baumgartner S. Society for Cancer Research, Hiscia Institute, Kirschweg 9, 4144 Arlesheim, Switzerland. ScientificWorldJournal. 2009 May 20;9:320-30
                                Effects of potentised substances on growth rate of the water plant Lemna gibba L. Scherr C, Simon M, Spranger J, Baumgartner S. Research Institute of Organic Agriculture (FiBL), Ackerstrasse, Frick, Switzerland. Complement Ther Med. 2009 Apr;17(2):63-70.
                                In vitro studies demonstrate anti-cancer activity of an alkaloid of a plant (Gelsemium sempervirens). Bhattacharyya SS, Mandal S, Biswas R, Paul S, Pathak S, Boujedaini N, Belon P, Khuda-Bukhsh AR. University of Kalyani Exp Biol Med (Maywood). 2008 Nov 7.
                                Homeopathy and systematics: a systematic analysis of the therapeutic effects of the plant species used in homeopathy. Bharatan V. Department of Botany, The Natural History Museum, Cromwell Road, London SW7 5BD, UK. Homeopathy. 2008 Jul;97(3):122-8.
                                Effects of High Dilutions of Cymbopogon winterianus Jowitt (citronella) on the Germination and Growth of Seedlings of Sida rhombifolia. Rosimar Maria Marques; Giuliani Grazyella MarquesSilva; Carlos Moacir Bonato International Journal of High Dilution Research, v.7, issue 22, p.3034, March 2008 Prof. Carlos Moacir Bonato Universidade Estadual de Maringá (UEM) Department of Biology, State University of Maringá, Paraná, Brazil
                                Reproducibility of dwarf pea shoot growth stimulation by homeopathic potencies of gibberellic acid Baumgartner S, Shah D, Schaller J, Kämpfer U, Thurneysen A, Heusser P. Institute of Complementary Medicine KIKOM, University of Bern, Bern, Switzerland; Society for Cancer Research, Institute Hiscia, Kirschweg 9, Arlesheim, Switzerland Complement Ther Med. 2008 Aug;16(4):183-91
                                Management and Control of Genetic Processes in Cotton Plants through Homoeopathy Dr. H.U. Gangar Ex-Head, Engineering & Workshop, Central Institute for Research on Cotton Technology, (ICAR) , Mumbai
                                Duckweed (Lemna gibba L.) as a Test Organism for Homeopathic Potencies Scherr C, Simon M, Spranger J, Baumgartner S. Research Institute of Organic Agriculture, Frick, Switzerland., Society for Cancer Research, Institute Hiscia, Arlesheim, Switzerland. J Altern Complement Med. 2007 Nov;13(9):931-8
                                Effects of Potentised Substances on Growth Kinetics of Saccharomyces cerevisiae and Schizosaccharomyces pombe C. Scherra,c; S. Baumgartnera,b; J. Sprangerc,e; M. Simond aVerein für Krebsforschung, Institut Hiscia, Arlesheim, Schweiz bKollegiale Instanz für Komplementärmedizin (KIKOM), Universität Bern, Insel-Spital, Imhoof-Pavillon, Bern, Schweiz cForschungsinstitut für biologischen Landbau, Frick, Schweiz dInstitut für Chemie und Biologie des Meeres (ICBM), Universität Oldenburg, Deutschland eInstitut für anthroposophische Veterinärmedizin, Frick, Schweiz Forsch Komplementärmed 2006;13:298-306 (DOI: 10.1159/000095302)
                                Statistical analysis of the effect of high dilutions of arsenic in a large dataset from a wheat germination model Brizzi M, Nani D, Peruzzi M, Betti L. Dipartimento di Scienze statistiche, University of Bologna, Italy Br Homeopath J. 2000 Apr;89(2):63-7
                                Growth stimulation of dwarf peas (Pisum sativum L.) through homeopathic potencies of plant growth substances Baumgartner S, Thurneysen A, Heusser P. Kollegiale Instanz für Komplementärmedizin, Universität Bern, Insel-Spital, Imhoof-Pavillon, Bern, Switzerland. s.baumgartner@hiscia.ch Forsch Komplementarmed Klass Naturheilkd. 2004 Oct;11(5):281-92
                                Effect of electronic homeopathic copy of biohumus fertilizer on tomato sprout development Korenbaum VI, Chernysheva TN, Apukhtina TP, Shin SN, Demeniuk VN. Pacific Institute of Oceanology, Far East Division, Russian Academy of Sciences, Vladivostok, 690041 Russia. v-kor@poi.dvo.ru Radiats Biol Radioecol. 2003 May-Jun;43(3):370-4
                                Effects of potentised substances on growth kinetics of Saccharomyces cerevisiae and Schizosaccharomyces pombe Scherr C, Baumgartner S, Spranger J, Simon M. Verein für Krebsforschung, Institut Hiscia, Arlesheim, Schweiz. scherr@vfk.ch Forsch Komplementarmed. 2006 Oct;13(5):298-306. Epub 2006 Oct 20
                                The effects of a 45x potency of arsenicum album on wheat seedling growth — a reproduction trial Binder M, Baumgartner S, Thurneysen A. Institute for Complementary Medicine (KIKOM), University of Bern, Switzerland Forsch Komplementarmed Klass Naturheilkd. 2005 Oct;12(5):284-91. Epub 2005 Oct 13
                                A biostatistical insight into the As(2)O(3) high dilution effects on the rate and variability of wheat seedling growth Brizzi M, Lazzarato L, Nani D, Borghini F, Peruzzi M, Betti L. Department of Statistical Sciences, Bologna University, Italy Forsch Komplementarmed Klass Naturheilkd. 2005 Oct;12(5):277-83. Epub 2005 Oct 13
                                Medicinal plants and homeopathy: a scientific and literary study C Amengual Selva, Mallorca, Spain
                                Effect of the homeopathic solution Sulphur on the growth and productivity of radish Bonato, C. M., Silva, E. P. da Departamento de Biologia, Universidade Estadual de Maringá, Av Colombo, 5790, 87020, Maringá, Paraná, Brazil. Acta Scientiarum – Agronomy, 2003 (Vol. 25) (No. 2) 259-263
                                Do not accept or reject anything before you have investigated it and that on its own merits.

Comment

Working...
                                X